Purpose can be seen as a key promoter in both professional growth and resilience for teachers. As a result, in many countries around the world, the purpose of education and the role of schools as supports for purpose development are growing as important topics of scientific research and educational debate. A conceptual shift is occurring in several countries: the purpose of education is becoming an education for purpose. In this book, researchers around the world examine what a shift toward an education for purpose looks like across several cultures. Teachers around the world should be explicitly educated for competencies that make purposeful and purpose-oriented teaching possible. The goal of teacher education is to educate teachers not only to teach knowledge content, but also to reflect on the purposefulness of their teaching: Why do their lessons and activities matter? What immediate impact and long-term effects do their teaching efforts have on the pupils as well as the communities in which pupils interact?
This chapters in this book were originally published as a special issue of the Journal of Education for Teaching.
Preface Peter Gilroy
Introduction- Education for purposeful teaching around the world Kirsi Tirri, Seana Moran and Jenni Menon Mariano
1. Finnish student teachers’ perceptions on the role of purpose in teaching Kirsi Tirri and Elina Kuusisto
2. Finnish and Iranian teachers’ views on their competence to teach purpose Elina Kuusisto, Khalil Gholami and Kirsi Tirri
3. Principles and methods to guide education for purpose: a Brazilian experience Ulisses F. Araujo, Valeria Amorim Arantes, Hanna Cebel Danza, Viviane Potenza Guimarães Pinheiro and Monica Garbin
4. The influence of Chinese college teachers’ competence for purpose support on students’ purpose development Fei Jiang, Shan Lin and Jenni Menon Mariano
5. What do teachers think about youth purpose? Seana Moran
6. Learning from the wisdom of practice: teachers’ educational purposes as pathways to supporting adolescent purpose in secondary classrooms Brandy P. Quinn