Transients, Control Principles, Finite Element Analysis and Optimal Design with MATLAB®
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after October 8, 2021
This second edition extensively covers advanced issues/subjects in electric machines, starting from principles, to applications and case studies with ample graphical (numerical) results. This textbook is intended for second (and third) semester course, treating topics such as modeling of transients, control principles, electromagnetic and thermal finite element Analysis and optimal design (dimensioning). Notable recent knowledge with strong industrialization potential has been added to this edition, such as:
- Orthogonal models of multiphase a.c. machines
- Thermal Finite Element Analysis of (FEA) electric machines
- FEA – based – only optimal design of a PM motor case study
- Line start synchronizing premium efficiency PM induction machines
Induction machines(three and single phase), synchronous machines with DC excitation, with PM-excitation,and with magnetically salient rotor and a linear Pm oscillatory motor are all investigated in terms of transients, electromagnetic FEM analysis and control principles.Case studies, numerical examples and lots of discussion of FEM results for PMSM and IM throughout the book.
The optimal design is treated in detail using Hooke-Jeeves and GA algorithms with case comparison studies in dedicated chapters for IM and PMSM. Numerous computer simulation programs in MATLAB and Simulink® are available online that illustrate performance characteristics present in the chapters and the FEM and optimal design case studies(and codes) and may be used as homework in order to facilitate a deep grasping of fundamental issues.
Table of Contents
1. Electric Machine Circuit Models for Transients and Control. 2. Transients and Control Principles of Brush–Commutator DC. 3. Synchronous Machine Transients and Control Principles. 4. Induction Machines Transients and Control Principles. 5. Essentials of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) in Electromagnetics. 6. FEA of Electric Machines Electromagnetics. 7. Thermal FEA of Electric Machines. 8. Optimal Electromagnetic Design of Electric Machines. 9. Optimal Electromagnetic Design of Surface PM Synchronous Machines (PMSM). 10. Optimal Electromagnetic Design of Surface PM Synchronous Machines (PMSM).
Ion Boldea is a Full Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University Politechnica of Timisoara, Romania. Professor Boldea is a Life Fellow of IEEE. He won the IEEE 2015 Nikola Tesla Award for "contributions to the design and control of rotating and linear electric machines for industry applications."
Lucian N. Tutelea is currently a Professor with the Department of Electric Engineering, Politehnica University Timisoara. His main research interests include design, modeling, and control of electric machines and drives.