Build and maintain an effective electronic reserve system!
Electronic Reserve: A Manual and Guide for Library Staff Members is the comprehensive professional resource you need to create commonsense policies and procedures that ensure effective electronic reserve service in your academic library. This hands-on, how-to guide walks you through the start-up process for implementing an electronic reserve system, presenting general guidelines and practices for designing and staffing your library. The book also examines fair use of copyrighted materials, explaining complex legal issues in language that youand your staffcan easily understand and apply.
Electronic Reserve: A Manual and Guide for Library Staff Members examines the critical issues of everyday e-resource management, including planning, staffing, training, publicity, assessment and evaluation, workflow, choosing the right software (and hardware), defining faculty control over materials, faculty copyright compliance, and implementing changes based on data analysis. This unique mix of practical details and specific examples also includes samples of the type of documentation you’ll need to start and maintain successful e-resource management, including letters, forms, checklists, and flowcharts, and provides tables and figures for copyright and fair use, an extensive glossary, and bibliographical references.
Electronic Reserve: A Manual and Guide for Library Staff Members has the answers to the frequently asked questions you’ll get from students, such as:
- How do I access the materials I need?
- Are all readings available electronically?
- What kind of hardware and software do I need?
- Why do I need a password to view some reserve items?
and from faculty, including:
- How do I submit my materials?
- Am I responsible for obtaining copyright permission?
- What is public domain?
- Can I use an article I wrote for publication?
- Would anyone actually sue me for copyright infringement?
Table of Contents
- PART ONE: THE HOW-TO-DO-IT MANUAL OF ELECTRONIC RESERVE
- Chapter 1. Introduction to Electronic Reserve Services
- Chapter 2. Getting Started
- Strategic Planning
- Electronic Reserve System
- Chapter 3. Ongoing Processes
- PART TWO: COPYRIGHT ISSUES IN ELECTRONIC RESERVE
- Chapter 4. An Overview of Copyright and Fair Use
- A Very Brief History of Copyright Law
- Determining Copyright Protection
- Works in Public Domain
- The Fair Use Doctrine
- TEACH Act
- Chapter 5. Fair Use for Electronic Reserve
- Guidelines and Policy Statements
- ALA Model Policy
- Other Guidelines
- Fair Use in the Electronic Age
- Current Practices
- Licensing Projects
- Chapter 6. Frequently Asked Questions
- From Students
- From Faculty
- Appendix. Sample Policies, Forms, and Checklists
- References and Resources