In fewer than three hundred years tourism has become a global service industry of great economic, cultural and political importance. Published to critical acclaim, the Encyclopedia of Tourism - now available as a Routledge World Reference title - is the definitive one-volume reference source to this challenging multisectoral industry and multi disciplinary field of study.
Comprising over one thousand entries, this volume has been written by an international team of contributors to provide a comprehensive guide to both the manifest and hidden dimensions of tourism. It explores the wide range of definitions, concepts, perspectives and institutions and includes:
- comprehensive coverage of key issues and concepts
- definitions of all terms and acronyms
- entries on the significant institutions, associations and journals in the field
- country-specific tourism profiles, from Greece to Japan and Kenya to Peru
- thorough analysis of the trends and patterns of tourism development and growth.
The extensive cross-referencing and comprehensive index will assist the reader in making links between the diverse aspects of tourism studies, and the suggestions for further reading are invaluable.
Table of Contents
1. General Issues and Concepts Specific to Tourism: Accommodation, Consumerism, Gambling, Globalization, Policy, Seasonality 2. Definition of Key Terms and Acronyms: Ecoresort, Professional Native, Room Nights 3. Significant Institutions, Associations and Journals: Caribbean Tourism Organization, Centre des Hautes Etudes Touristiques, WTO, Journal of Leisure Research, Journal of Tourism Studies 4. Country Specific Tourism Profiles: Greece, Hungary, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Peru, Singapore, South Africa 5. Trends and Patterns of Tourism Development and Growth: Community Development, Demography, Ecologically Sustainable Tourism, Forecasting, Zoning 6. Tourism as an Industry with Many Businesses: Adventure Tourism, Business Travel, Convention Bureaux, Hospitality, Marketing, Public Relations
'An essential purchase for every serious tourism researcher, library and institution.' - International Journal of Tourism Research
'Useful for professionals in the industry, scholars and researchers, and interested lay readers. It is recommended for academic and large public libraries.' - Booklist
'Highly recommended for academic libraries offering classes in the field of tourism and the hospitality industries.' - American Reference Books Annual Edition 2000