304 pages | 208 B/W Illus.
Requiring only a basic knowledge of the physics of fluids, Engineering Applications of Pneumatics & Hydraulics provides a sound understanding of fluid power systems and their uses within industry. It takes a strongly practical approach in describing pneumatics and hydraulics in modern industry and is filled with diagrams of components, equipment and plant.
The pneumatic and hydraulic graphical symbols used in everyday fluid power systems and circuits are particularly explained and well illustrated. In addition to descriptions of equipment and plant, maintenance and troubleshooting is also covered, with an emphasis on safety systems and safety regulations.
This second edition delves into the same fluid power technical areas as in the first edition, but with a complete update of current safety legislation and guidance on the latest regulations. Codes of practice, technical standards and standardisation organisations have also been updated to enable readers to search for the newest information and requirements regarding the use and application of pneumatics and hydraulics in industry whilst reflecting advances in technology.
The book is written for students from levels 3 to 5, and for a wide range of practising engineers, especially in the engineering disciplines of mechanical, plant, process and operations engineering, as well as measurement and control engineering within mechatronics.
1. Applications of pneumatics and hydraulics in industry
2. Basic principles of fluid power systems
3. Features and characteristics of pneumatic and hydraulic systems
4. Components, equipment and plant symbols
5. Fluid power generation, supply and distribution
6. Control valves I - types and principles of operation
7. Control valves II - types and principles of operation
9. Pneumatic and hydraulic circuits and arrangement of components
10. Electro-pneumatics and electro-hydraulics
11. Fluid power measurement systems
12. Troubleshooting and maintenance
13. Basic principles of fluid power control
14. Emergency shutdown and safety systems
15. Health and Safety at Work
1. Answers to revision questions
2. City and Guilds specimen examination questions
3. Institution of Plant Engineers relevant technical guides
4. Standards and standardisation organisation relevant fluid power
5. Bar litres calculations