Building on the success of the previous editions, Essentials of Middle and Secondary Social Studies Third Edition focuses on the key issues central to the teaching of middle and high school social studies, including lesson planning and instructional strategies. Written in an engaging, conversational style, the text encourages teachers in their development as professionals and enables them to effectively use creative and active learning strategies in the everyday classroom.
New to This Edition
This third edition has been refined with new and relevant topics and strategies needed for effectively teaching middle and high school social studies. New features include:
- An expanded chapter on the decision-making process in secondary social studies. This chapter provides additional discussion about the importance of helping middle and high school learners better understand the decision-making process and offers strategies for helping teachers make connections between choices, values, character development, and social justice
- An updated chapter on technology designed to better prepare secondary social studies teachers to effectively incorporate technology into their instruction. Focus is given to virtual teaching and learning, media literacy, teaching with film, and numerous other ways to improve teaching and learning in the digital age
- Updated further readings and helpful resources for all chapters to include supplemental digital and video sources related to various topics throughout the chapter. These resources were specifically curated to be impactful for preservice and in-service teachers, as well as anyone teaching secondary social studies methods courses
- Added a "Checking for Understanding" section of questions at the end of each chapter that focuses on comprehension, application, and reflection on key concepts throughout the chapters
- An expanded discussion of the Common Core Standards and C3 Framework and how it impacts teachers
- An updated chapter titled "Experiencing Social Studies". This chapter focus on topics such as teaching with drama, role play, field trips, and service learning
- Each chapter includes a "Helpful Resources" section that details various websites and online resources for further discovery
Chapter One, "Becoming a Professional Social Studies Teacher"; Chapter Two, "Contemporary Social Studies"; Chapter Three, "Planning Social Studies Instruction"; Chapter Four, "Assessment and Evaluation"; Chapter Five, "Reading and Writing in Social Studies"; Chapter Six, "Social Studies and Diverse Learners"; Chapter Seven, "Thinking, Problem Solving, and the Acquisition of Skills"; Chapter Eight: "Cooperative Learning in Social Studies"; Chapter Nine, "Experiencing Social Studies"; Chapter Ten, "Issues-Centered Learning and Decision-Making"; Chapter Eleven, "Technology and Media in Social Studies"; Chapter Twelve "Lesson Plans for Secondary Social Studies"
"Essentials of Middle and Secondary Social Studies is a thoughtful introduction into the practice of teaching middle and secondary social studies. As a true methods book, Russell and Waters focus on an array of approaches to teaching. For anyone interested in a book that is built around the practical aspects of teaching social studies, this is a must-read book."
Bonnie Bittman, Assistant Professor of Teacher Education, The University of Hawaii.
"The strength of Essentials of Middle and Secondary Social Studies is in its ability to provide reader with practical applications of research-based instructional strategies. Filled with illustrative vignettes, activities, and lesson plans, this book would be valuable for pre-service teachers who are just entering the classroom, as well as in-service teachers who may be looking for new ways to enliven their instruction."
Wayne Journell, Professor of Secondary Social Studies Education, University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
"Too often, methods texts are rich in the "why" of teaching the content. This book is outstanding in that it focuses upon the "how" as well as the "why". Education student will benefit greatly from the wide and diverse research-based strategies to teach all students in today’s educational world. Indeed, this book truly covers the ‘essentials’ of social studies instruction today."
Dr. Brad Burenheide, College of Education, Kansas State University