The eighth edition of this well-informed and comprehensive Encyclopedia and Directory charts the European Union's development. Thoroughly updated, this extensive reference source provides in-depth information on all matters relating to the European Union: the expansion of the EU under the Nice Treaty is covered, and the future of the union is addressed. A glossary of key terms, a statistical survey and a directory section provide a unique guide to the workings of the EU as well as up-to-date contact details of MEPs and other EU officials.
- an up-to date chronology of the EU (from 1947 to present).
- an A-Z section contains concise definitions and explanations of organizations, acronyms and terms, and articles on each member state. Comprising over 1,000 entries compiled by acknowledged experts, terms listed include: the Convention on the Future of Europe; the Rapid Reaction Mechanism; the Charter of Fundamental Rights; the Laeken Declaration; enlargement; and immigration policy.
- a series of introductory articles provide an overall view of the policies and activities of the EU. Essay subjects include: defence policies of the EU; the EU economy; European Monetary Union; the governance, legal and social frameworks of the EU; enlargement; external relations, migration and asylum policy.
- an extensive directory of key names, addresses, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and internet addresses of all major European Union institutions and their official bodies. This information is supplemented by summaries of important treaties; details of information sources in the EU; and details of EU trade associations. Also in this section, details of MEPs - their political groups and national parties.
- a statistical survey provides tables covering areas such as: population, employment, agriculture, energy and mining, industry, finance, trade, transport and communications, tourism, health and welfare, and education across the EU.
This title will prove invaluable to academic and public libraries, politicians and government agencies and the media, as well as to all those in need of accurate and reliable information on the European Union.
'A useful, indeed exhaustively comprehensive, collection of European official facts and figures, this book is strongly recommended.' - Reference Reviews
'A one-volume source book complete with an encyclopedia, essays, statistical data and a directory.' - Choice
'An excellent one-stop reference.' - Library Journal