Apple Academic Press
443 pages | 10 Color Illus. | 38 B/W Illus.
Food Bioactives: Functionality and Applications in Human Health helps to address the growing consumer demand for novel functional food products and for high value and nutritionally rich products by focusing on the sources and applications of bioactives from food. The volume looks at the functional properties and applications of a selection of food products from various sources, including culinary banana, phalsa, pseudocereals, roselle calyces, asparagus, and more.
Several chapters address the resurgence of interest in pseudocereals due to their excellent nutritional and biological values, gluten-free composition, and the presence of some health-promoting compounds. The book also looks at utilizing industrial byproducts for making functional and nutraceutical ingredients. The chapters on prebiotics and probiotics highlight different functional properties, and a chapter on food allergens discusses advancements in detection and management in the food manufacturing industries.
With the contribution from experts in their respective fields, this volume provides updated information in selected important areas of food science, technology and processing and their application for developing novel food products.
1. Chemical Modification and Characterization of Culinary Banana (Musa ABB) Starch and Its Application
K. Dihingia, S. Muchahary, and S. C. Deka
2. Functional Foods from Different Sources
Prakash Kumar Nayak, Chandrasekar Chandra Mohan, and Kesavan Radha Krishnnan
3. Recent Trend on Dietary Natural Products for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer
Monoj Kumar Das et al.
4. Probiotic Foods
Ananta Saikia and Francis Dutta
5. Bioactive Compounds and Health Benefits of Phalsa: An Underutilized Fruit
Aradhita Barman Ray and Kiran Bala
6. Pseudocereals: Nutritional Composition, Functional Properties, and Food Applications
Ritu Sindhu and B. S. Khatkar
7. Development of Functional Food Products from Food Waste
Vasudha Bansal, Pankaj Preet Sandhu, and Nidhi Budhalakoti
8. Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) Calyces: A Potential Source of Natural Color and Its Health Benefits
V. H. Shruthi, and C. T. Ramachandra
9. Phytochemical, Pharmacological, and Food Applications of Asparagus (A. racemosus )
Anamika Ranjan and Pramod K Prabhakar
10. Functional and Technological Properties of Probiotics and Prebiotics
Bhanja Amrita and R. Jayabalan
11. Food Allergens: Detection and Management
Jon Jyoti Kalita et al.
12. Cereals and Pseudocereals: General Introduction, Classification, and Nutritional Properties
Nisar Ahmad Mir et al.
13. Indigeneous Fermented Beverages of the Indian Subcontinent: Processing Methods and Nutritional and Nutraceutical Potential
Piyush K Jha et al.
14. Food Industry Byproducts: Resource for Nutraceuticals and Biomedical Applications