Fundamental Building Technology introduces the technology, methods, and processes fundamental to construction by focussing on what is involved in building a typical low-rise house. Written with the novice in mind, this textbook is the ideal starting point for any construction student, as it fully supports the reader all the way to understanding the functional requirements of each element of the building, and how to take these into account through the building process itself.
This second edition is expanded to cover even more relevant topics, and is supported by more resources for use by the student and lecturer. Now included are:
- An introduction to the planning process and the building regulations
- How to incorporate a sustainable approach, in the selection of materials and elsewhere
- A companion site with lecturer’s answers manual and illustrated lecture notes
- 150 labelled diagrams throughout the book, and multiple self-study questions in every chapter
- A students’ section of the companion site with multiple choice quizzes and 250 full-colour photos linked to chapters of the book
Concise, focussed and the most student-friendly guide to this topic available, Fundamental Building Technology is the perfect textbook for those taking construction technology modules at undergraduate or HNC/HND level.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Building Technology 2. Development controls 3. Site Investigation and the Type of Ground 4. Excavations 5. Foundations 6. Concrete 7. Bricks and Blocks 8. External Walls 9. Bonding and Openings 10. Timber 11. Ground Floors 12. Upper Floors 13. Flat Roof Construction and Coverings 14. Pitched Roof Construction and Coverings 15. Timber Frame and Steel Frame House Construction 16. Windows 17. Doors 18. Stairs 19. Plasters and Plasterboards 20. Internal Walls and Partitions 21. Internal Finishes 22. External Wall Finishes
'Informs and seeks to test the reader's understanding of building materials and the construction process ... a very well thought-out and useful publication.' – Building Engineer
'The second edition of this excellent text builds on the detail of the original – each chapter contains clear and concise information on all parts of the construction process from site investigations to finishes using high quality diagrams to support the text. Each chapter also contains self-assessment questions which help the student gauge their understanding of the main concepts – I would recommend this book not only to academics but to new vocational practitioners as an essential read. Brilliant.' – Ian Butt, Programme Leader HNC/D Construction and the Built Environment, City of Bath College
'Fundamental Building Technology shows how building technology is a multi-faceted area requiring knowledge and understanding of the interdependent issues of building physics, materials, building techniques and legislation... Sustainability is rightfully embedded as a theme, which runs through the contents and facilitates an understanding of the impact of sustainability principles. For students of construction technology this approach not only reinforces the importance of sustainable development, but also illustrates how it relates to and impacts on other factors… Here in one volume is encapsulated the information that provides the foundations for an understanding of the dynamics of building technology.' – Anna Hiley, University of Manchester