Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing An Environmental Approach, Third Edition
Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing: An Environmental Approach, Third Edition, is a definitive guide to remote sensing systems that focuses on satellite-based remote sensing tools and methods for space-based Earth observation (EO). It presents the advantages of using remote sensing data for studying and monitoring the planet, and emphasizes concepts that make the best use of satellite data. The book begins with an introduction to the basic processes that ensure the acquisition of space-borne imagery, and provides an overview of the main satellite observation systems. It then describes visual and digital image analysis, highlights various interpretation techniques, and outlines their applications to science and management. The latter part of the book covers the integration of remote sensing with Geographic Information System (GIS) for environmental analysis. This latest edition has been written to reflect a global audience and covers the most recent advances incorporated since the publication of the previous book, relating to the acquisition and interpretation of remotely sensed data.
New in the Third Edition:
- Includes additional illustrations in full color.
- Uses sample images acquired from different ecosystems at different spatial resolutions to illustrate different interpretation techniques.
- Includes updated EO missions, such as the third generations of geostationary meteorological satellites, the new polar orbiting platforms (Suomi), the ESA Sentinels program, and high-resolution commercial systems.
- Includes extended coverage of radar and LIDAR processing methods.
- Includes all new information on near-ground missions, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- Covers new ground sensors, as well as machine-learning approaches to classification.
- Adds more focus on land surface characterization, time series, change detection, and ecosystem processes.
- Extends the interactions of EO data and GIS that cover different environmental problems, with particular relevance to global observation.
Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing: An Environmental Approach, Third Edition, details the tools that provide global, recurrent, and comprehensive views of the processes affecting the Earth. As one of CRC’s Essential titles, this book and stands out as one of the best in its field and is a must-have for researchers, academics, students, and professionals involved in the field of environmental science, as well as for libraries developing collections on the forefront of this industry.
Physical Principles of Remote Sensing.
Sensors and Remote Sensing Satellites.
Basis for Analyzing EO Satellite Images.
Digital image processing (I): From Raw to Corrected Data.
Digital image processing (II): Generation of Derived Variables.
Earth Observation and Geographic Information Systems.