Marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry has transformed with the development of digital marketing tools and the evolution of social culture. Recently, the advent of new technologies such as smartphones, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, robots, and new GIS systems has created more possibilities for marketing innovations. Advancements in information technology are leading to changes in business processes, service standards, and management mindsets. Meanwhile, consumers are also adapting to the new marketing paradigm. Researchers are interested in studying this newly-emerging and unpredictable business environment, customer decision making, new management tactics, and business analytic strategies.
Future of Tourism Marketing aims to assess the role of modern technologies in marketing tourism destinations and their effects on potential visitors. This book will provide an update on research into the new marketing paradigm that is developing as a result of new technologies in a post-modern era.
The chapters in this book were originally published in Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing.
Preface: Future of Tourism Marketing
Seongseop (Sam) Kim and Dan Wang
1. Consumer adoption of the Uber mobile application: Insights from diffusion of innovation theory and technology acceptance model
Somang Min, Kevin Kam Fung So and Miyoung Jeong
2. Marketing robot services in hospitality and tourism: the role of anthropomorphism
Jamie Murphy, Ulrike Gretzel and Juho Pesonen
3. Classifying technological innovation attributes for hotels: an application of the Kano model
Chun-Fang Chiang, Wen-Yu Chen and Chia-Yuan Hsu
4. The view from above: the relevance of shared aerial drone videos for destination marketing
Uglješa Stankov, James Kennell, Alastair M. Morrison and Miroslav D. Vujičić
5. Using tracking technology to improve marketing: insights from a historic town in Tasmania, Australia
Bob Mckercher, Anne Hardy and Jagannath Aryal
6. Consequences of psychological benefits of using eco-friendly services in the context of drone food delivery services
Jinsoo Hwang, Sun-Bai Cho and Woohyoung Kim
7. Integrating virtual reality devices into the body: effects of technological embodiment on customer engagement and behavioral intentions toward the destination
Carlos Flavián, Sergio Ibáñez-Sánchez and Carlos Orús
8. Tourists as Mobile Gamers: Gamification for Tourism Marketing
Feifei Xu, Feng Tian, Dimitrios Buhalis, Jessica Weber and Hongmei Zhang