Gay men reveal their preferenceand the reasons behind it!
Gay Men and Anal Eroticism: Tops, Bottoms, and Versatiles is a no-holds-barred examination of one of society's most persistent taboos. In a remarkably candid collection of frank and forthright interviews, 21 gay men talk about the role anal sex plays in their lives and relationships and their choices to act as insertive (top) or receptive (bottom) partnersor both (versatile). Ranging in age from 21 to 65, the men discuss the reasons behind (and consequences of) their choices; how they define their sexual roles (and how those roles are defined by gay society); issues of power, trust, and vulnerability; and the concept (in both straight and gay society) that tops and bottoms are socially and morally unequal.
These unique interviews, conducted by the author in the Boston and Provincetown areas, celebrate choice in gay men's sexuality while debating whether preference is genetically based or socially formeda debate largely ignored in social science studies. The men interviewedincluding gay porn icon Cole Tuckerdiscuss perceptions muddied by stereotypes, preconceived notions, and exaggerated scenarios, and the meanings gay men assign to anal sex, including dominance and submission roles related to masculine/feminine, aggressive/passive implications. The interviews also cover each subject's personal history as a gay man, safe sex in the AIDS era, childhood traumas, first-time sexual encounters, loves, desires, and obsessions.
The interviews for Gay Men and Anal Eroticism provide insights that are equal parts thoughtful and outrageous, humorous and heartbreaking:
- Aaron, age 24: I sort of fell into this image of myself as being a very aggressive bottom, a guy who knew what he wanted and who didn't want any wimps applying.
- Danny, 21: There’s a mindset about being a top it's kinda like maintaining the ship.
- Sam, 36: I hate to say it, but I’m a bottom I don’t like to be identified like that because I feel it turns me into something all the way from my feet up to my head.
- Eddie, 42: I guess I enjoy more being a top than a bottom because I haven't found a good top.
- and Cole Tucker: A physical act doesn't really make you a top or a bottom. It's a function, an organic function of what you do. It's the dynamics of where you come from.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Is It a Natural Thing?
- I. Bottoms
- 1. Aaron: Labels Exist for a Reason
- 2. Andy: Bottoms Get No Respect
- 3. Sam: The Darkness that Looms Inside
- 4. Kevin: A Certain Honesty
- 5. Lito: It's a Natural Thing
- II: Tops
- 6. Danny: Giving and Receiving
- 7. Max: The Bottom Has to Work with You
- 8. Mark: Control and Stereotypes
- 9. Jay: An Assertive Personality
- III: Versatiles
- 10. Jackson: I Enjoy Both
- 11. Randy: Boston is a Bottom Town
- 12. Peter: A Hard Dick Has No Conscience
- 13. Bruce: Too Much Alone
- 14. Eddie: We're Held Prisoners for Fucking
- 15. Tom: Control and Volition
- 16. Cole Tucker: A Man's Soul
- 17. James: The Female Position
- 18. Richard: To Know Who You Are
- 19. John: They Want Me to Fuck Them Like Crazy
- IV: Couples
- 20. Clayton and Leonard: More Versatile
- 21. Payne and Stanley: An Equal Sense of Power