Gestalt in Pastoral Care and Counseling is the only book to provide you with an integrated model of pastoral care and counseling from the perspective of Gestalt theory. Covering all aspects of ministry, including visitation, counseling, worship, and administration, it is a valuable text for advanced undergraduate or graduate classes and small group or individual study for seminaries, church ministries, pastoral counseling training programs, and lay pastoral ministry programs. This book will increase your confidence in your work, help you understand blockages as well as avenues of change, and lead you to a more creative, yet consistent, stance in your ministry.Gestalt in Pastoral Care and Counseling makes clear that all of ministry is, in fact, pastoral in nature. It demonstrates the principles of Gestalt in pastoral ministry in a gradual manner, true to both Gestalt principles and your needs. Some of the topics you learn about include:
- key elements of Gestalt theory, from the early developers through more recent practices
- the cycle of experience--a model that provides an understanding of the various steps involved in change on all levels
- Gestalt applications in pastoral counseling, worship, and administration
- a theology of pastoral caring--a model for pastoral ministry based on the relational aspects of the Biblical narrative and its application in ministry
- ideas for continued growth based on daily life experienceWith well-developed presentations of Gestalt principles and pastoral ministry, Gestalt in Pastoral Care and Counseling provides you with a new perspective on the meaning of pastoral ministry. Not only will you learn new skills, you will also develop a new appreciation for what can occur within pastoral relationships. The theoretical basis of Gestalt embraces the whole of life experience as part of the process of change and growth and holds sacred the relationship that exists between persons. As your understanding and use of these principles increases, the quality of care and counseling you provide in your ministry will continue to improve.