Global Tourism Higher Education Past, Present, and Future
Get an in-depth understanding of tourism educationworldwide!
Global Tourism Higher Education: Past, Present, and Future extensively reviews tourism education on a global basis, focusing on the history, development, current status, challenges, and opportunities now present in various regions and countries. Leading international authorities discuss program administration, curriculum offering, faculty qualifications, and student learning in tourism higher education programs, exploring issues both specific to their own region as well as common to other areas around the world. This unique book offers educators and students a valuable informative view of the historical development, present situations, and future directions of tourism education.
The main ingredient in successfully providing a quality tourism product is highly qualified, fully trained people. Global Tourism Higher Education compiles an impressive collection of interdisciplinary perspectives exploring various directions different countries are traveling on the road to quality tourism education. Chapters reveal the numerous challenges faced by developing regions as well as more mature tourism education locations. This book provides a useful overview of education strategies around the world, exploring educational issues that are common across borders. Countries and regions reviewed include Canada, the British Isles, Austria, Switzerland, Israel, Turkey, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Korea, and Australia. The book includes extensive references and graphs and tables to ensure understanding of research.
Topics in Global Tourism Higher Education include:
- past, present, and future directions of tourism education in Canada, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
- five educational and tourism environments in the British Isles
- differences and similarities in tourism educational development in Switzerland and Austria
- accreditation processes of local academic programs in Israel
- reforms needed in Turkey’s higher education system
- the hierarchy of educational programs in China with suggestions for the future
- the problem of the quality of tourism graduates in Thailand
- the distinctive niche of Australian tourism education
- much more!
- Tourism Education in Canada: Past, Present, and Future Directions (Don MacLaurin)
- Global Tourism Higher EducationThe British Isles Experience (Tom Baum)
- Tourism Education in Austria and Switzerland: Past Problems and Future Challenges (Klaus Weiermair and Thomas Bieger)
- Tourism and Hospitality Higher Education in Israel (Arie Reichel)
- Tourism Higher Education in Turkey (Fevzi Okumus and Ozcan Yagci)
- Tourism Higher Education in China: Past and Present, Opportunities and Challenges (Wen Zhang and Xixia Fan)
- The Past, Present, and Future of Hospitality and Tourism Higher Education in Hong Kong (Ada Lo)
- Tourism and Hospitality Higher Education in Taiwan: Past, Present, and Future (Jeou-Shyan Horng and Ming-Huei Lee)
- Travel and Tourism Education in Thailand (Manat Chaisawat)
- Past, Present, and Future of Tourism Education: The South Korean Case (Mi-Hea Cho and Soo K. Kang)
- Australian Tourism Education: The Quest for Status (Philip L. Pearce)
- Reference Notes Included