This book is a leadership guide to the effective implementation of the ISO 45001:2018 standard. It takes the high-level leadership and top management principles put forward in ISO 45001 and develops them into a comprehensive discourse on how, at the very top of any organization, large or small, leaders can drive the occupational health and safety (OH&S) agenda and ensure the effective implementation of the OH&S management systems.
While the standard sets out expectations for top management, this book provides a clear explanation of the OH&S roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities between those who direct the organization and drive it towards achieving its strategic aims and those who lead the day-to-day operations. It puts forward a purposeful, easy-to-follow, and effective system for the implementation of ISO 45001 whilst also, and more importantly, maximizing the value proposition of such a global standard, regardless of industry.
The book is written for top management teams of both non-executive and executive leadership, as well as senior advisors, in all organizations seeking to effectively implement OH&S policies and management systems. It can also be utilized to create training and learning materials to assist with implementation.
1. Effective Health and Safety Governance and Leadership
2. Value Creation through High Reliability
3. The Model for Effective Health and Safety Governance and Leadership: The health and safety role of the board
4. Health and Safety in Strategic and Business Planning
5. Policy Setting – Setting the "Tone from the Top"
6. Setting the plan, targets and ensuring integration with the Business Plans and the creation of the Ingredients for success
7. Stewardship for Implementation of the Health and Safety Plan
8. Ensuring Effectiveness, Performance Oversight & Continual Improvement
9. Training and Implementation