All new buildings, extensions and refurbishment work must comply with Building Regulations in order to protect the health and safety of building occupants. In recent years the regulations have become increasingly complex, making the process of demonstrating compliance more arduous.
This well-established guide provides the construction industry with concise, clear guidance on the essentials of the Building Regulations, setting out the key compliance requirements to help designers and other construction professionals produce safe, attractive buildings.
The third edition has been fully revised and updated to incorporate the 2015 amendments to the Building Regulations, including:
• An optional higher standard of water efficiency for Requirement G2 (Water efficiency), which may be required as a planning condition.
• A new fittings approach to water efficiency as an alternative to the Water Efficiency Calculator.
• Amendment to guidance on solid waste storage in Part H (Drainage and waste disposal), which now requires consideration of local amenity when designing bin storage.
• Division of Approved Document M into two volumes addressing dwellings and non-dwellings respectively.
• Expansion of Requirement M4 (Access to and use of dwellings) to include three different accessibility categories for dwellings. Categories 2 and 3 are optional standards, which may be required as a planning condition.
• The introduction of brand new Part Q (Security) with new provisions for domestic doors and windows in order to prevent unauthorised access.
• Updating of references to standards and other documents.
Fully updated and written to save time for hard-pressed users, the 3rd edition of Guide to the Building Regulations is the essential companion for architects, construction professionals and building control officers alike.
Table of Contents
Introduction 1. Structure 2. Fire Safety 3. Site Preparation and Resistance to Contaminants and Moisture 4. Toxic Substances 5. Resistance to the Passage of Sound 6. Ventilation 7. Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency 8. Drainage and Waste Disposal 9. Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems 10. Protection from Falling, Collision and Impact 11. Conservation of Fuel and Power 12. Access to and Use of Buildings 13. Electrical Safety 14. Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency List of Figures List of Tables Sources of Information Index
Huw M A Evans has worked as a technical author and trainer in the construction industry since 1996 and holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Technical Authorship from Sheffield Hallam University. From 1996–2006 he worked at JPA Technical Literature in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, developing technical documentation both in the UK and Europe, and providing technical support for thermal calculation software.
Huw has been a freelance consultant (www.writelines.biz) since 2006, authoring technical documents, and writing and delivering training courses for designers, energy assessor and construction product manufacturers. He has particular interests in building physics and energy efficiency, and how they are addressed by building regulations.