Hammer's German Grammar and Usage 6e + Practising German Grammar 4e
Long trusted as the most comprehensive, up-to-date and user-friendly grammar available, Hammer’s German Grammar provides you with a complete guide to German as it is written and spoken today.
In a new layout to enable better referencing, this new edition includes:
- concise descriptions of the main grammatical phenomena of German and their use
- examples of grammar taken from contemporary German, helping you to understand the underlying grammatical principles more quickly
- invaluable guidance on pronunciation and the German accent
- discussion of new words from English roots, helping you to communicate in German as Germans do today
- clarification on the spelling reform and current spellings of German, thus increasing your confidence while writing and reading in German.
Praised for its lucid explanations, this new edition distinguishes the most common forms of usage, both formal and informal. Hammer’s German Grammar also offers you a combination of reference grammar and manual of current usage that you will find invaluable, whether a student or a teacher, at intermediate or advanced level.
This Grammar is accompanied by the workbook, Practising German Grammar, which features related exercises and activities. Created especially for the new edition, a companion website at www.routledge.com/cw/durrell offers a wide range of exercises and quizzes on all the main areas of German, suitable for self-study and to accompany instructed grammar courses.
Table of Contents
1 Nouns 2 Case 3 Personal pronouns 4 The articles 5 Other determiners and pronouns 6 Adjectives 7 Adverbs 8 Numerals 9 Modal particles 10 Verbs: conjugation 11 The infinitive and the participles 12 The uses of the tenses 13 The passive 14 Mood: the imperative and subjunctive 15 The modal auxiliaries 16 Verbs: valency 17 Conjunctions and subordination 18 Prepositions 19 Word order 20 Word formation 21 Spelling and punctuation