Recording issues and obstacles as well as groundbreaking victories in the recognition of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) rights in politics and policy, this landmark handbook introduces core considerations necessary for prompting governmental initiatives and social structures to better serve the GLBT population. Its impressive range of research enlightens all corners of GLBT public administrative theory and practice, including state, national, and international policy; educational, health, and criminal justice administration; and specialized community issues.
Beginning with a foreword by U.S. Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, the handbook's broad reach covers
- the most recent advances in GLBT politics and policy in the U.S.
- political party support of gay rights in the legislative and executive branches
- the influence citizens have in shaping gay rights at the state level
- legislation and challenges specific to transgender and bisexual rights
- GLBT youth issues in light of the current mainstream cultural climate
- the disparity between developed and developing nations in tolerance and protection of gay rights
- health and healthcare matters impacting the GLBT community
- GLBT concerns in elementary and secondary schools, ranging from employment and curriculum to harassment and support systems
- higher-education struggles, as well as the prospects for greater societal change stemming from campus progress
- hate crimes, including a focused analysis of law enforcement handling of GLBT homicides
- other GLBT-germane aspects of the criminal justice system
Collecting the diverse perspectives of top-tier administrators, educators, researchers, political writers, activists, social workers, and other professionals, this resource is key reading for public administrators, public planners, public policy specialists, and undergraduate and graduate students in these and similar disciplines.
Table of Contents
The Developed World
The Developing Nations
Policy Entrepreneurship and Gay Rights: An Analysis of State-Level Laws
Political Party Support and Policy Outcomes: Adopted
State Gay Right Laws
New GLBT Political and Policy
Developments: Five Years of Progress
Transgender and Bisexual Issues in Public Administration and Policy
Developmental Policy Issues
Issues in Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Aging
Queer Youth Issues
A Survey of GLBT Health Issues
No Longer Silent: The Emerging Opportunity for Gay Men to Thrive and Survive Prostate Cancer
Dealing with GLBT Issues in Elementary and Secondary Schools
Coming Out of the Ivy Closet: Improving Campus Climate for GLBT Students, Faculty and Staff
Criminal Justice Administration Criminal Justice Administration: A Survey of the Issues
Wallace Swan, Dallas Drake
Confronting and Managing GLBT Homicide and Its Associated Phenomena
"…Understanding the unique challenges and issues that confront the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community is an essential first step in addressing them…This Handbook will help to inform its readers of these challenges…
"…The writings of those on the front lines of administration are valuable for colleagues, staff, academicians, and policy makers."
-Tammy Baldwin, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.