950 pages | 40 Color Illus. | 124 B/W Illus.
Since the publication of the third edition of the Handbook of Plant and Crop Stress, continuous discoveries in the fields of plant and crop environmental stresses and their effects on plants and crops have resulted in the compilation of a large volume of the latest discoveries. Following its predecessors, this fourth edition offers a unique and comprehensive collection of topics in the fields of plant and crop stress. This new edition contains more than 80% new material, and the remaining 20% has been updated and revised substantially.
This volume presents 10 comprehensive sections that include information on soil salinity and sodicity problems; tolerance mechanisms and stressful conditions; plant/crop responses; plant/crop responses under pollution and heavy metal; plant/crop responses under biotic stress; genetic factors and plant/crop genomics under stress conditions; plant/crop breeding under stress conditions; empirical investigations; improving tolerance; and beneficial aspects of stressors.
With contributions from 100 scientists and experts from 20 countries, this Handbook provides a comprehensive resource for research and for university courses, covering soil salinity/sodicity issues and plant/crop physiological responses under environmental stress conditions ranging from cellular aspects to whole plants. The content can be used to plan, implement, and evaluate strategies to mitigate plant/crop stress problems. This new edition includes numerous tables, figures, and illustrations to facilitate comprehension of the material as well as thousands of index words to further increase accessibility to the desired information.
Soil Salinity and Sodicity Problems. Soil Salinity and Sodicity as Particular Plant/Crop Stress Factors. Soil Salinity Development, Classification, Assessment and Management in Irrigated Agriculture. Soil Salinization and Management Options for Sustainable Crop Production. Influence of Sodium on Soils of Humid Regions. Plant Tolerance to Low pH Soils. Plant Adaptation to Phosphorus Limited Soils. Plants/Crops Tolerance and Stressful Conditions. Oxidative Stress and Antioxidative Defense System in Plants. Growing under Abiotic Stresses. Oxidative Stress in Plants: Production, Metabolism, and Biological Roles of Reactive Oxygen Species. Oxidative Stress: Its Repercussion to Crop Productivity. Antioxidant Protection during Abiotic Stresses. Biochemical Mechanisms for the Maintenance of Oxidative Stress under Control in Plants. Plant Hormone Functions in Abiotic and Biotic Stress Response. Role of Proline in Plant Response to Drought and Salinity. Role of Nitric Oxide in Plant Stress Response and Tolerance. Role of Dehydrins in Plant Stress Response. Role of Polyamines in Plant Abiotic Stress Responses. Behavior of Water in Plants at Low and Ultralow Temperatures. Physiological and Biochemical Mechanisms of Plant Tolerance to Heat Stress. Physiological and Biophysical Responses of Plants under Low and Ultralow Temperatures. Drought Physiology of Forage Crops. Stress Tolerance in Some European Resurrection Plants.