Healing Plants of Nigeria: Ethnomedicine and Therapeutic Applications offers comprehensive information on the use of herbal medicines in West Africa. Combining an evidence-based, ethnobotanical perspective with a pharmacological and pharmaceutical approach to phytomedicine, the book bridges the gap between the study of herbal plants’ pharmacological properties and compounds for the development of clinical drugs and community-oriented approaches emphasizing local use. It demonstrates how the framework of African traditional medicine can be preserved in a contemporary clinical context.
The book outlines history and beliefs surrounding the use of herbs traditionally used by the local population alongside their application in contemporary phytotherapy in Nigeria and West Africa. It features a critical assessment of the scientific rationale of these plants’ use in ethnomedicine and offers a composite catalogue of phytotherapeutic and wellness agents, detailing the safety profile, efficacy, and scientific integrity of plants used to treat diseases and optimize health.
· An ethnobatonical survey containing over 200 full color photographs of Nigerian and West African plants.
· A unique combination of ethnobotany and pharmacognosy, bridging the divide between pharmaceutical and community-oriented approaches in herbal medicine research.
· Contextual discussion of therapeutic potentials of Nigerian herbal medicine.
· Offers a template which can be used to separate the superstitious aspects of ethnomedicine from culturally inherited deposits of knowledge.
A handbook for herbal and natural medicine practitioners, the book is aimed at African thinkers, scientists, healthcare providers and students of pharmacology and ethnomedicine.
1. The Practice of Medicine in Africa
2. Medicine, Culture and Health Belief Systems
Part Two: Application of Medicinal Plants for Specific Diseases
7. Medicinal Plants for Malaria and Parasitic Infections
8. Nigerian Plants with Application in the Treatment of High-Blood Pressure
9. Nigerian Healing Plants Used for Metabolic Syndrome, Obesity, and Diabetes
10. Phytotherapy of HIV-AIDS and Opportunistic Infections with Nigerian Plants
11. Application of Nigerian Plants in Cancer Treatment
12. Control of Oxidative Stress and Chronic Inflammation with Nigerian Plants
13. Skin care, Dental - Oral Care and Cosmeceuticals from Nigerian Plants
14. Nigerian Healing Plants in Global Trade