Nearly thirty years since its first publication, the highly anticipated fourth edition of Heat Conduction upholds its reputation as an instrumental textbook and reference for graduate students and practicing engineers in mechanical engineering and thermal sciences. Written to suit a one-semester graduate course, the text begins with fundamental concepts, introducing the governing equation of heat conduction as derived from the First law of Thermodynamics. Solutions for one-dimensional conduction follow, then orthogonal functions, Fourier series and transforms, and multi-dimensional problems. Later sections focus on a series of specialized techniques, including integral equations, Laplace transforms, finite difference numerical methods, and variational formulations.
Two new chapters (9 and 11) have been added to cover heat conduction with local heat sources and heat conduction involving phase change. Applications of Fourier transforms in the semi-infinite and infinite regions have been added to Chapter 7 and Chapter 10 has been expanded to include solutions by the similarity method. Also new to the fourth edition are additional problems at the end of each chapter.
Table of Contents
1. Foundations of Heat Transfer
2. General Heat Conduction Equation
3. One-Dimensional Steady-State Heat Conduction
4. The Sturm-Liouville Theory and Fourier Expansions
5. Steady-State Two and Three Dimensional Heat Conduction: Solutions with Separation of Variables
6. Unsteady-State Heat Conduction: Solutions with Separation of Variables
7. Solutions with Integral Transforms
8. Solutions with Laplace Transforms
9. Heat Conduction with Local Heat Sources
10. Further Analytical Methods of Solution
11. Heat Conduction Involving Phase Change
12. Numerical Solutions
Appendix A Thermophysical Properties
Appendix B Bessel Functions
Appendix C Error Function
Appendix D Laplace Transforms
Appendix E Exponential Integral Functions
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub.
You will be prompted to fill out a regist