This book presents novel concepts in the development of high-temperature superconducting (HTS) devices and discusses the technologies involved in producing efficient and economically feasible energy technologies around the world.
High-Temperature Superconducting Devices for Energy Application covers the application of high-temperature superconductors in clean energy production and allied cooling technologies. In addition, it presents the compatibility of other materials involved in the construction of various devices at cryogenic temperatures. It also summarizes superconducting fault current limiters (SFCL) and related grid stabilization. The book addresses the need to lower the losses incurred with efficient power transmission.
The aim of this book is to serve the needs of industry professionals, researchers, and doctoral students studying energy technologies.
- Discusses the history of the development of high-temperature superconductors
- Covers cryogenic cooling technologies adapted for various superconducting devices
- Presents a detailed design of superconducting generators
- Highlights the importance of superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES) devices in the power grid
- Focuses on theoretical computations
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Superconductivity. 2. Cryogenic Cooling Strategies. 3. Superconducting Generators/Motors. 4. Superconducting Magnetic energy Storage. 5. Superconducting Cables. 6. Superconducting Fault Current Limiters.
Dr. Raja Sekhar Dondapati is an Associate Professor and Research Coordinator in the School of Mechanical Engineering, Lovely Professional University, Punjab. He received a PhD from IIT Kharagpur in the area of Cryogenics with reference to applied superconductivity. He contributed to the development of Nuclear Fusion Technologies. He is a life member of various international and national societies such as IEEE, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, International Association of Engineers (IAENG), Indian Society for Heat and Mass Transfer (ISHMT), Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE) etc. He has won various awards, including "Best Contributions to Superconductivity" by IEEE Council for Superconductivity. He has published a number of technical papers in prestigious journals, including Cryogenics-UK, Fusion Engineering and Design, and IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity. He is a Reviewer of various international journals and has chaired various conferences across the world, including China, Thailand, USA, UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Scotland. He has written several book chapters in the field of computational materials science. He is also a Principal Investigator of a sponsored project funded by Central Power Research Institute, Banglore on the development of Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Devices.