Hospitality and Tourism Education in China
Development, Issues, and Challenges
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after December 31, 2021
This book is the first to systematically introduce China’s tourism education system and the various tourism education practices in China to the international audience and stakeholders. China has the world’s largest tourism education system, which consists of over 1,000 higher learning institutions with tourism related programs and over half a million of tertiary level students studying in these programs. Despite the industry scale, internationally, little is known about this tourism education system and how it operates. Knowledge and better understanding of China’s tourism education system are important as tourism becomes one of the critical forces transforming economy, society and environment.
The book offers an historical evaluation of China tourism education development and elaborates on the current industry status and practices in different subject fields of China’s tourism education, including tourism management, hospitality management, events and festival management in higher education, tourism vocational education, tour guides training and certification, master of tourism administration (MTA) education as a unique education model in China, PhD education in tourism, tourism curriculum, research and international collaboration in tourism education in China.
The book provides relevant knowledge to international tourism education providers, industry practitioners, human resource managers, government officials, and tourism academics, researchers, and students.
Table of Contents
1. Hospitality and Tourism Education in China: An Overview
Jigang Bao and Songshan (Sam) Huang
2. Tourism Management Undergraduate Programs
Li Tian and Liang Liu
3. China’s Higher Education in Hospitality Management
Bin Li and Huimin Gu
4. Event Management Education in China
Qiuju Luo and Xiangru Qin
5. Tourism Vocational Education
Kunxin Wang, Jian Hu, Angzhi Gao, and Zhichao Yang
6. Tour Guiding Education, Training and Administration
Xianrong Luo, Hanjun Tao, and Lili Liu
7. Master of Tourism Administration Education
Yanbo Yao and Pingping Hou
8. Tourism PhD Programs in China
Honggang Xu and Qingfang Zhang
9. Curriculum Settings and Comparisons
Chaozhi Zhang and Xiaofeng Zhou
10. International Collaboration in Tourism Higher Education
Qiuju Luo and Xueting Zhai
11. Tourism Research in China
Jigang Bao, Ganghua Chen, and Songshan (Sam) Huang
12. Critical Issues, Challenges and Future Prospects
Songshan (Sam) Huang and Jigang Bao
Jigang Bao is Professor in the School of Tourism Management and the Director of the Centre for Tourism Planning and Research at Sun Yat-sen University, China.
Songshan (Sam) Huang is Professor in the School of Business and Law at Edith Cowan University, Australia.