In this book and companion custom website you will find:
• A comprehensive overview of the issues related to human behavior and the social environment that are important to understand for practice, updated with current and relevant information on important topics in social work. Additional relevant content, contemporary theories, and intervention modalities are incorporated throughout the text to keep students up to date with what is happening in the field.
• Careful organization of chapters to first present foundational theoretical perspectives on the human condition, and then provide information on basic facets of human development, encouraging students to use conceptual lenses to inform their practice with individuals at different stages of life. Four final chapters cover theoretical foundations and issues surrounding spirituality, families and groups, organizations, and communities. These chapters offer in-depth information and discussions on mezzo and macro content. The organization of the chapters also helps students better understand how contemporary theories and approaches to issues stem from foundational theories and how they can be used to inform work with clients.
• Particular emphasis on the ways in which poverty, diversity, and strengths affect human development and behavior.
• The opportunity to see how the concepts fit into social work practice using case examples that open each chapter and are referred to throughout the chapter.
• Interactive case studies at www.routledgesw.com/cases: Six easy-to-access fictional cases with dynamic characters and situations that students can easily reach from any computer and that provide a “learning by doing” format unavailable with any other text. Your students will have an advantage unlike any other they will experience in their social work training.
• A wealth of instructor-only resources at www.routledgesw.com/hbse that provide full-text readings that link to the concepts presented in each of the chapters; a complete bank of objective and essay-type test items, all linked to current CSWE EPAS (Council on Social Work Education Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards); PowerPoint presentations to help students master key concepts; annotated links to a treasure trove of social work assets on the Internet; and a forum inviting all instructors using books in the series to communicate with each other and share ideas to improve teaching and learning.
• Ideal for use in online as well as hybrid course instruction—in addition to traditional “bricks and mortar” classes.
This bestseller is ideal for use in either one-semester or year-long generalist human behavior courses. Why? Because the text is concise and easily used in a one-semester course. But the text also comes with a companion set of readings, additional chapters focused on macro social work, and six unique cases that encourage your students to “learn by doing” and to apply their knowledge of human behavior to best practices. Go to www.routledgesw.com/hbse to learn more. These additional resources easily allow you to use the text (and its related resources) in a two-semester sequence.
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1 Human Behavior and the Social Work Profession
CHAPTER 2 Lenses for Conceptualizing Problems and Interventions: The Person in the Environment
CHAPTER 3 Lenses for Conceptualizing Problems and Interventions: Biopsychosocial Dimensions
CHAPTER 4 Lenses for Conceptualizing Problems and Interventions: Sociocultural Dimensions
CHAPTER 5 Lenses for Conceptualizing Problems and Interventions: Social Change Dimensions
CHAPTER 6 Pre-Pregnancy and Prenatal Issues
CHAPTER 7 Development in Infancy and Early Childhood
CHAPTER 8 Development in Middle Childhood
CHAPTER 9 Development in Adolescence
CHAPTER 10 Development in Early Adulthood
CHAPTER 11 Development in Middle Adulthood
CHAPTER 12 Development in Late Adulthood
Human Behavior in the Social Environment: Mezzo and Macro Contexts
CHAPTER 13 Looking Forward: Challenges and Opportunities for the Social Work Profession
CHAPTER 14 Spirituality and Human Behavior
CHAPTER 15 Families and Groups
CHAPTER 16 Social Organizations and the Social Environment
CHAPTER 17 Communities and the Social Environment
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.