India Higher Education Report 2020
Employment and Employability of Higher Education Graduates in India
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after September 28, 2021
India Higher Education Report 2020 critically analyzes the role played by the state, industries, and higher education institutions in the employment and employability of educated youth in India. The book discusses a wide range of topics such as employability skill gaps of higher education graduates; curriculum and skills training systems; formal and informal modes of skill formation; crisis of jobless growth in India; migration, education and employment; dimensions of gender, caste and education; general, technical and professional education; vocationalization; qualifications framework and skills certifications; curriculum and pedagogy in higher education for skill development; industry–academia linkages; entrepreneurship education and executive education; and sustainable employment.
The book focuses on theoretical insights, empirical evidences and recent data on key issues and challenges of higher education graduate employment in a knowledge economy driven by the unprecedented expansion of higher education and increasing digitization. It offers successful cases of institutional responses, examples of policy and practices as also perspectives of different stakeholders such as employers, employees, teachers and students to present trends in the changing landscape of higher education and future demands of the job market for the youth workforce across sectors, subject disciplines and gender.
This volume will be an important resource for scholars, teachers and researchers of higher education, public policy, political economy, political science, labour studies, economics, education, sociology in general as well as for policymakers, professional organizations and associations, civil society organizations, and government bodies.
Table of Contents
1. Employment and employability of higher education graduates: an overview
N.V. Varghese and Mona Khare
Part I: Economic Growth and Employment of the Educated
2. The crisis of jobless growth in India
Rajat Kathuria and Ujjwal Krishna
3. On the persistence of informal work and self-employment in India
S. Chandrasekhar and Vasavi Bhatt
4. Migration, education and employment in India
S. Irudaya Rajan
5. Declining labour force participation in India: does education and training help?
S. Madheswaran and J.K. Parida
6. Trends in employment and unemployment in India: dimensions of gender, caste and education
Rajendra P. Mamgain and Khalid Khan
Part II: Graduate Employability and Skills Mismatch
7. Skills mismatch of higher education graduates in India: factors determining employability quotient
8. General, technical and professional education: employability skill gaps
9. Education, skills mismatch and wage differentials
Sahana Roy Chowdhury, Catherine Bros and Sayoree Gooptu
Part III: Education and Skill Formation
10. India’s national skills qualification framework and employment: the promise and the reality
11. Curriculum and pedagogy in higher education for skill development
Nikhil Agarwal and Aprant Agarwal
12. Skilling India: vocational orientation to higher education
13. Skill universities in India
S.K. Shukla and Komal Raghav
14. Informal modes of skill formation
Part IV: Education–Industry Relationship
15. Industry–academia linkages in India’s technical education sector
Raj Agrawal and Anuja Pandey
16. Refuelling entrepreneurship education in India: a case study
17. Executive education and career advancement: sustainable employment
Neetu Jain and Ajay K. Jain
N.V. Varghese is Vice-Chancellor, National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) and the founding director of the Centre for Policy Research in Higher Education at NIEPA, New Delhi, India.
Mona Khare is Professor and Head, Department of Educational Finance, Centre for Policy Research in Higher Education, National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration, New Delhi, India. She is associated with various government bodies and international education forums in research, consultancy and advisory activities.