338 pages | 42 B/W Illus.
India Migration Report 2018 looks at Indian migrants in Europe and their lived experiences. It looks at how over the last few decades, the European Union has emerged as the preferred destination for Indian migrants surpassing the United States of America – and is home to Indian students and high-skilled professionals ranging from engineers to medical graduates, contributing to the economy and society both at the countries of origin and destination. The chapters in the volume look at a host of themes and issues, including agreements India has signed with the EU, the Blue Card, the impact of Brexit and the plight of unskilled workers.
The volume will be of great interest to scholars and researchers of development studies, economics, sociology and social anthropology and migration studies.
1. The European Union as a Preferred Destination of Indian Migrants? Prospects, Patterns, Policies and Challenges
Ali Mehdi, Divya Chaudhry, Pallavi Joshi and Priyanka Tomar
2. Social Security Agreement in Practice: Evidences from Europe
Atul Kumar Tiwari, Dhananjay Ghei and Prerna Goel
3. ‘Blue Card’: A Comment on the EU’s Preferential Immigration Visa for Attracting Human Capital vis-à-vis Its Own Multilateral Conundrum
4. Short-term Visa Requirement for Indian Nationals in the European Union
S. Irudaya Rajan
5. Social Security Benefits of Indian migrants in Europe: Loss or Win Situation in Case of Return?
6. Challenges and Opportunities for the Indian Migrants in EU in the Context of EU Enlargement and BREXIT
7. Migration of Indian Health Professional to the European Union: An Analysis of Policies and Patterns
8. BREXIT: Did a Perceived Threat of Immigrants Divide a Country?
S. Irudaya Rajan and Nikhil Panicker
9. The New Student Migration Regime: Enhanced Opportunities for Indian Nationals Seeking to Study in the European Union?
10. Have the ‘London Dreams’ of Indian Doctors Come to an End?
Basant Potnuru and Binod Khadria
11. Indians in Italy
12. Trafficking and Exploitation of Indian Labourers in Italy
Marco Omizzolo and Pina Sodano
13. Skilled Migration and IT Sector: A Gendered Analysis
Gunjan Sondhi, Parvati Raghuram and Clem Herman
14. "Being Indian" in the City of Oxford
15. Mechanisms Triggering Indian Students to the UK
16. When International Migration is a Failure: Panjabi Undocumented Migrants in France
17. All about My Skills, not Me or Mine: Vignettes of Precarity among Skilled Indian Professionals in the UK
18. Experiences of Indian "Bachelors" in the Gulf
S. Irudaya Rajan, Chitra Ranganathan and Sreelakshmi Ramachandran
19. Impact of Migration on Contemporary Demographic Transformation in Kerala
S. Irudaya Rajan and K. C. Zachariah
20. Out-migration and its Economic Impact on Households in Tamil Nadu