Indian Ocean and Maritime Security Competition, Cooperation and Threat
This book provides a synoptic view of the Indian Ocean and maritime security in its contested waters. Using a historical approach, it reveals vital links to events in the present day. The volume:
- Highlights the competition between major Asian powers to control the ‘String of Pearls’ — a reference to the Chinese attempts at controlling the Indian Ocean periphery.
- Shows that cooperation amongst the major powers of the region could abate the threat of the potential of conflict becoming global and inviting external intervention.
- Discusses India’s Look-East policy and the deepening relation between India and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Argues for the need of Indian Ocean states and particularly the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) members of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) to look afresh at their political and security issues and common interests.
- Suggests measures for evolving a robust mechanism of maintaining the Indian Ocean as a sustainable zone of commerce, energy, security and peace rather than threat.
A major contribution on a critical area in Asian geopolitics, this volume will be useful to scholars and researchers of international relations, politics, defence studies and maritime security studies, along with strategic affairs experts and think tanks.
Notes on contributors
The past, present and future of the Indian Ocean
1 Revisiting maritime security in the Indian Ocean: a note on current scenario
ARUNA KUMAR MALIK AND WILLIAM NUNES
2 China is pivot to the Indian Ocean Region: impacts and implications for India
3 India’s role and responsibility as a major power in the Indian Ocean
PRIYAMBADA CHATURVEDI AND SUJOY ROUTH
4 India and China in the Indian Ocean Region: countervailing powers
ABHINAV GOYAL AND NIHARIKA
The Indian Ocean and India’s partners
5 Maritime security perspective of Sino–Indian relations in the Indian Ocean Region
SHREYA BANERJEE AND SHREYA CHATTERJEE
6 Maritime security concerns in the Indian Ocean: countering piracy trafficking and terrorism
HARSHVARDHAN SHARMA AND HIMANSHU SUBODH AWASTHI
7 Maritime security in the Indian Ocean: confronting non-traditional security threats with regional cooperation
8 Indian Ocean: maritime security and the need of development
JAYANT GARG, HIMANSHU PANDEY AND BISHIKH MOHANTY
India’s influence and responsibilities in the Indian Ocean Region
9 Piracy off the coast of Somalia and maritime security
10 ‘Whale of the Ocean – India’
ANWESHA PATHAK AND ROHIT SHARMA
11 The China factor in Indo–Japan strategic relations
NISHTHA KAUSHIKI AND HILAL RAMZAN
12 Look-East policy: challenges and prospects for India and ASEAN security relations