Indie Rock 101 is a clear, concise, all-in-one primer for beginning to mid-level musicians looking for the essential fundamentals behind running, recording and promoting their band. It's all the basics that can take years to collate from more specialized or technical books, magazines and websites-and it's written by a real independent musician.
* Part I, Running Your Band covers the topics most relevant to forming and running the band: the people, practice and songwriting
* Part II, Recording covers pre-production considerations, gear and how-to basics, and timeless fundamentals and techniques around recording, mixing and mastering
* Part III, Promoting covers what you need to know to establish and grow your fan base, including graphic design, your press kit and website, sharing and selling your music, playing out and making a video
Whether you're just starting out or looking for a 360-degree primer to help take your music to the next level, Indie Rock 101 is the one book that covers it all.
Featuring photos and Q&As from:
Birdmonster * CDBaby founder Derek Sivers * Juliana Hatfield * John Vanderslice * Karate * Mark Kozelek of Sun Kil Moon * Spanish for 100 * World Air Guitar Champion "Hot Lixx" Hulahan and more
Table of Contents
What's an indie rock band?
Who this book is for and what it will give you
1) Part I - Running Your Band
2) Part II - Recording
3) Part III - Promoting Your Band
Graphic design fundamentals and best practices
Your press kit and website components
Sharing, socializing and selling your music
Making a video
Sticking with it
Audio production magazines
Glossary of audio terminology
III - Recording process and gear list for Rich's records
"A lot of excellent and timely advice that you might take years to amass if you had to find it out for yourself... overall this is a good book with useful (some might say essential) information on running a band and keeping going."
-- Performing Musician
- Sample Chapters