Industry 4.0 Solutions for Building Design and Construction
A Paradigm of New Opportunities
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after December 21, 2021
This book provides in-depth results and case studies in innovation from actual work undertaken in collaboration with industry partners in Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC). Scientific advances and innovative technologies in the sector are key to shaping the changes emerging as a result of Industry 4.0. Mainstream Building Information Management is seen as a vehicle for addressing issues such as industry fragmentation, value-driven solutions, decision making, client engagement, and design/process flow. However, Advanced Simulation, Computer Vision, Internet of Things (IoT), Blockchain, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Linked Data all provide immense opportunities for dealing with these challenges and can provide evidenced-based innovative solutions not seen before. These technologies are perceived as the “true” enablers of future practice. However, only recently, has the AEC sector recognised terms such as “golden key” and “golden thread” as part of BIM processes and workflows.
This book builds on the success of a number of initiatives and projects by the authors which include seminal findings from the literature, research and development, and practice-based solutions produced for industry. It presents these findings through real projects and case studies developed by the authors and reports how these technologies made a real-world impact.
The chapters and cases in the book are developed around these overarching themes:
• BIM and AEC design and optimisation: application of Artificial Intelligence in Design
• BIM and XR as Advanced Visualisation and Simulation Tools
• Design Informatics and Advancements in BIM Authoring
• Green building assessment: Emerging Design Support Tools
• Computer Vision and Image Processing for Expediting Project Management and Operations
• Blockchain, big data, and IoT for Facilitated Project Management
• BIM Strategies and Leveraged Solutions
This book is a timely and relevant synthesis of a number of cogent subjects underpinning the paradigm shift needed for the AEC industry and is essential reading for all involved in the sector. It is particularly suited for use on Masters level programs in Architecture, Engineering and Construction.
Table of Contents
1. Industry 4.0 Solutions for Building Design and Construction: A Paradigm of New Opportunities 2. AI Based Architectural Design Generative BIM Workspace for Architectural Design Automation 3. Towards Intelligent Structural Design of Buildings: A BIM Solution 4. BIM and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly 5. Virtual Reality-Based Cloud BIM Platforms for Integrated AEC Projects 6. XR-openBIM Integration for Supporting Whole Life Management of Offsite Manufactured Houses 7. A Centralised Cost Management System: Exploiting Earned Value Management and Activity Based Costing within Integrated Project Delivery 8. Success Factors Driving Cost Management Practices through Integrated Project Delivery 9. 4D BIM for Structural Design and Construction Integration 10. BIM Integrated Project Delivery: An Automated Earned Value Management-Based Approach 11. Revolutionising Cost Structure within Integrated Project Delivery: A BIM-Based Solution 12. Dynamic Sustainable Success Prediction Model for Infrastructure Projects: A Rough Set Based Fuzzy Inference System 13. Multi-Objective Optimisation to Support Building Window Design 14. Artificial Intelligence Image Processing for On-Demand Monitoring of Construction Projects 15. Digitalisation of Architecture Engineering and Construction: Immersive Technologies and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 16. Optical Code Division Multiple Access - Based Sensor Network for Monitoring Construction Sites Affected by Vibrations 17. Blockchain Integrated Project Delivery: An Automated Financial System
Farzad Pour Rahimian is Reader of Digital Engineering and Manufacturing at Teesside University, UK
Jack Goulding is Professor of Construction Project Management at the University of Wolverhampton, UK and Director of a specialist BIM consultancy service
Sepehr Abrishami is a Senior Lecturer and BIM Programme Leader at the University of Portsmouth, UK
Saleh Seyedzadeh is a Research Scientist in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Vision, the University of the West of Scotland, UK
Faris Elghaish is a Lecturer in Construction Project Management at Queen’s University Belfast, UK