Much-needed guidance for updating your teaching skills and practices!
Information Literacy Instruction for Educators: Professional Knowledge for an Information Age explores various methods of instructing pre-service teachers and administrators on how to locate new subject matter and distinguish between fact, opinion, and rhetoric across a wide variety of topics. Experienced educators and librarians join forces to present a number of exemplary efforts from international communities. This book also looks at approaches for incorporating information literacy instruction into K-12 pre-service education programs.
This book will show you how to develop information literacy skills as a student, a lifelong learner, and as a professionalhoning the ability to locate, evaluate, manage, and present information on any subject. This state-of-the-art text presents original thinking about collaborations between librarians and faculty members to promote information literacy as a core element of the professional knowledge for K-12 teachers and administrators in the 21st century.
In Information Literacy Instruction for Educators, you’ll learn about:
- information literacy and digital technologies within the field of education
- collaborations between librarians and academic staff to develop approaches to information literacy for pre-service education students
- a collaboration between university library faculty and members of the educational studies department to meet the new state standards on information literacy and technology
- information literacy integration in a doctoral programincorporating and verifying standards, and an appraisal of the results
- and more!
Table of Contents
- Information Literacy Instruction for Educators: A Global Perspective on Needs and Opportunities
- Technology and the Concept of Information Literacy for Pre-Service Teachers
- Whither They Go: An Analysis of the Inclusion of School Library Programs and Services in the Preparation of Pre-Service Teachers in Canadian Universities
- Teaching, Learning and Information Literacy: Developing an Understanding of Pre-Service Teachers’ Knowledge
- A Flying Start for Our Future Teachers: A Comprehensive Information Literacy Program for Pre-Service Education Students at the University of Wollongong, Australia
- Teaching Teachers to Teach: Collaborating with a University Education Department to Teach Skills in Information Literacy Pedagogy
- Survey of the Influence of Mississippi School Literacy Programs on Academic Achievement: Implications for Administrator Preparation Programs
- Information Literacy Integration in a Doctoral Program
- Information Literacy in Pre-Service Teacher Education: An Annotated Bibliography
- Reference Notes Included