Book publishing today is a highly competitive and exciting international industry. Inside Book Publishing provides a wealth of essential information for anyone interested in a career in publishing, or in understanding how publishing works.
This fully revised, updated and extended edition covers:
* the history and current structure of the UK book trade
* the role of the author, authors' agents, packagers and booksellers
* copyright and contracts
* key elements of the publishing process: commissioning, editorial, design, production, publicity and promotion, sales and rights
* the business of publishing
* the impact of electronic publishing and online bookselling
* getting a job in publishing and career pathways
* information on organizations offering training for publishers, suggestions for networking opportunities, and an annotated guide to further reading.
'This book is likely to be the most useful and comprehensive guide to the book publishing industry outside of full time university course If you are interested in a career in publishing you ought to read this book. If you think you are already well on your way to a career in publishing it will do you no harm either.' - Matthew Flynn, Imprint
'The book has undergone a detailed revision to ensure its currency for students and general readers.' - Ian McGowan, University of Stirling