Life-cycle assessment is a methodology used to evaluate the environmental impacts of a product, process, or service during its life cycle, and risk assessment is a tool to evaluate potential hazards to human health and the environment introduced by pollutant emissions.
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals call for, among other objectives, responsible consumption and production by decoupling environmental resource use and environmental impacts from economic growth and human well-being. Life-cycle assessment and risk assessment are both analytical system approaches that allow scientists and other decision makers to address these issues and objectives according to the current understanding of environmental mechanisms.
This book is the first attempt to illustrate the existing interfaces between life-cycle assessment and risk assessment and to indicate options for further integration of both tools.
The second edition:
- Focuses on sustainability
- Considers new developments in life-cycle assessment and environmental risk assessment over the last ten years at the international level
- Introduces broader concepts and discussions on integrative versus the complementary use of life-cycle and risk assessments
- Extends the scope of integrated life-cycle and risk assessments to critical raw materials
- Includes more case studies and discusses engineered nanomaterials
Featuring contributions from leading experts, Integrated Life-Cycle and Risk Assessment for Industrial Processes and Products is a great reference for graduate students and professionals in environmental management and intends to catalyze communication between life-cycle assessment and risk assessment experts and scientists in academia, industry, and governmental agencies. The practical format of the book—illustrated with flowcharts, examples, exercises, and concrete applications—makes it a useful manual for analyzing situations and making decisions.
1. Basic Principles in Sustainability Management 2. Life-Cycle Assessment 3. Life-Cycle Impact Assessment 4. Environmental Risk Assessment 5. Criticality Assessment of Natural Resources 6. Combining and Integrating Life-Cycle and Risk Assessment 7. Life-Cycle Toxicity Assessment 8. Life-Cycle Criticality Assessment 9. Uncertainty Assessment by Monte Carlo Simulation 10. Environmental Damage Estimations for Industrial Process Chains 11. Site-Dependent Impact Analysis 12. Applications of Environmental Impact Analysis in Industrial Process Chains
"The Integrated Life-Cycle and Risk Assessment for Industrial Processes and Products book is an excellent contribution to the field of life cycle and risk assessment for the industrial process and product applications. The book speaks to the what, why and how to apply and integrate life cycle and risk assessment. I would highly recommend the book to technical and engineering schools, professors, courses, and students who are looking to embed sustainability attributes into product and industrial process design and improvement."
~Jim Fava, FSLCI