Integrative Play Therapy with Individuals, Families and Groups is a complete theory-to-practice introduction to a comprehensive integrative model of play therapy, developed by Shlomo Ariel. It synthesizes numerous concepts, methods and techniques found in the various branches of play theory and research under a unified conceptual and linguistic roof of information-processing, cybernetics and semiotics. The author's tenet is that any case, whatever the presenting difficulties, can be treated by such an integrative, multi-systemic approach.
This book abounds with vivid observations and case descriptions, followed by discussions in a fictional inter-disciplinary seminar. Every chapter is followed by a brief summary, homework assignments and a classified list of relevant publications.
Integrative Play Therapy with Individuals, Families and Groups will generate immense interest throughout the play therapy community. It can serve as a textbook for budding play therapists and as a reference book for more experienced practitioners.
"A masterful blending of play therapy theories and techniques in make-believe play sessions. Thought-provoking and insightful!"
"Integrative Play Therapy with Individuals, Families and Groups provides a comprehensive blueprint to guide both beginners and seasoned practitioners. Ariel methodically links concepts from systems, linguistic and play theory to create an innovative, integrated approach to diagnosis and treatment, the Diamond Model. The application of the model is illustrated though compelling and in-depth case examples in varying treatment formats. The practice of integrative play therapy is further exhibited by thought-provoking dialogues about the cases with an interdisciplinary team. The complexity of issues confronting practitioners today is daunting. Ariel’s book offers a theoretically grounded, methodical, and thorough guide to construct effective and playful interventions."
"Once again, Dr. Ariel has challenged and articulated insights into our play therapy field. Words like preparatory moves, integration of family and individual therapy, interdisciplinary approaches and collaborative supervision come alive in this, his most recent book. Such a pleasure in our times to hear from a clinician with wisdom, not just knowledge, but wisdom with respect to the entire child and his/her family."
Part 1: Theoretical and methodological foundations
1. My favorite play therapy mix
2. Apprasing the current state of the art
3. The Diamond Model
Part 2: X-Raying make-believe play
4. Play observation techniques
5. Microscopic analysis of observed play
6. Macroscopic analysis on the semantic level
7. Macroscopic analysis of the pragmatic level
Part 3: The manifold magic of make-believe play
8. A formal definition of make-believe play
9. Linguistic peculiarities of make-believe play
10. Make-believe play as a vehicle of learning and development
11. Make-believe play as a pacifier
12. The therapeutic powers of play, revisited
Part 4: Planning a multi-systemic play therapy
13. Multi-systemic diagnostic evaluation
14. Planning a therapeutic strategy
Part 5: How to do it?
15. Conducting a play-therapeutic session
16. Lucy: the girl who created her own father
17. Nadav: a sweet oppositional-defiant boy
18. Play therapy: a reality show
List of cases, sessions and observations