Power systems are evolving towards the Smart Grid paradigm, featured by large-scale integration of renewable energy resources, e.g. wind and solar power, deeper participation of demand side, and enhanced interaction with electric vehicles. While these emerging elements are inherently stochastic in nature, they are creating a challenge to the system’s stability and its control. In this context, conventional analysis tools are becoming less effective, and necessitate the use alternative tools that are able to deal with the high uncertainty and variability in the smart grid.
Smart Grid initiatives have facilitated wide-spread deployment of advanced sensing and communication infrastructure, e.g. phasor measurement units at grid level and smart meters at household level, which collect tremendous amount of data in various time and space scales. How to fully utilize the data and extract useful knowledge from them, is of great importance and value to support the advanced stability assessment and control of the smart grid.
The intelligent system strategy has been identified as an effective approach to meet the above needs. This book presents the cutting-edge intelligent system techniques and their applications for stability assessment and control of power systems. The major topics covered in this book are:
- Intelligent system design and algorithms for on-line stability assessment, which aims to use steady-state operating variables to achieve fast stability assessment for credible contingencies.
- Intelligent system design and algorithms for preventive stability control, which aims at transparent and interpretable decision-making on preventive control actions to manipulate system operating condition against possible contingencies.
- Intelligent system design and algorithms for real-time stability prediction, which aims to use synchronized measurements to foresee the stability status under an ongoing disturbance.
- Intelligent system design and algorithms for emergency stability control, which aims at fast decision-making on stability control actions at emergency stage where instability is propagating.
- Methodologies and algorithms for improving the robustness of intelligent systems against missing-data issues.
This book is a reference and guide for researchers, students, and engineers who seek to study and design intelligent systems to resolve stability assessment and control problems in the smart grid age.
Power System Stability: Definitions, Phenomenon and Classification. Stability Assessment and Control: Problem Descriptions and Classifications. Intelligent system-based Stability Analysis Framework. Intelligent System for On-line Stability Assessment. Intelligent System for Preventive Stability Control. Intelligent System for Real-Time Stability Assessment. Intelligent System for Emergency Stability Control. Addressing Missing-Data Issues. Bibliography.