Intensified Sediment Disasters in Japan The 2011 Kii Peninsula Torrential Rain Disasters
The 2011 Kii Peninsula disaster was postwar Japan’s largest sediment and flood disaster. This book analyzes the disaster and the emergency response and subsequent disaster-prevention efforts. It also provides an international comparison and recommendations for mitigation and recovery efforts.
Although the scale and intensity of the disaster were expected to occur just once every 100 years, global warming has seen the intensification of such disasters around the globe. This book therefore presents an invaluable in-depth reference for readers on how to prepare for such a disaster, identify risk factors, and react accordingly. Contributors draw on the results of field surveys conducted by the Japanese Geotechnical Society at the time of the disaster and subsequent developments. First, they explain the factors that contributed to the disaster, including the meteorological, topographical, and geological conditions at the time of the disaster. They then describe the mechanisms of slope failure and damage caused by the slope failures across Nara, Wakayama, and Mie prefectures. Finally, they describe the post-disaster response, including the recovery and reconstruction and disaster-prevention and mitigation efforts in the affected area. Readers will therefore understand the importance of the contributing factors and be able to improve disaster mitigation strategies and response plans that will save lives and prevent damage to local infrastructure and economies.
This book is an invaluable resource for researchers, geologists, practicing engineers, and government officials who are involved in disaster prevention and response. Upper undergraduate and graduate students will also benefit from the book’s in-depth approach.
2. Intensiﬁcation of Sediment Disasters in the World and in Japan
3. Rainfall Characteristics of Severe Tropical Storm Talas and Topographical and Geological Features of the Kii Peninsula
4. Disasters in Nara Prefecture
5. Disasters in Wakayama Prefecture
6. Disasters in Mie Prefecture
7. Slope Protection Measures in Japan and Restoration and Recovery Measures in the Kii Peninsula Disaster
8. Disaster-Prevention and Mitigation Measures Following the Kii Peninsula Disaster
9. Response to Sediment and Flood Disasters Caused by "Unexpected" Heavy Rainfall and Lessons Learned