The 2nd edition of Intercultural Communication:
- Updates key theories of intercultural communication
- Explores the ways in which people communicate within and across social groups around three themes. These include identity, Othering, and representation
- Contains new examples from business, healthcare, law and education.
- Presents an updated and expanded set of influential readings including James Paul Gee, James Lantolf, Les Back, Richard Dyer, Jacques Derrida and B Kumaravadivelu, with new critical perspectives from outside Europe and North America
Written by experienced teachers and researchers in the field, Intercultural Communication is an essential resource for students and researchers of English Language and Applied Linguistics.
'Holliday, Kullman and Hyde have put together a highly learner-friendly textbook that offers an extensive coverage of the central issues of intercultural communication. They have successfully provided a multi-disciplinary perspective on the subject, which would be relevant for students of different fields such as communication studies, linguistics and sociology.' Tan Ying Ying, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
"This book helps the reader to gain a greater understanding of intercultural communication, of their own culture and of themselves. It does so by presenting engaging case studies of problematic intercultural 'events', by providing enlightening explanations and by inviting the reader to connect these cases to their own thinking and their lives."
Brian Tomlinson, Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
About the Series
Routledge Applied Linguistics is a series of comprehensive resourcebooks, providing students and researchers with the support they need for advanced study of English applied linguistics and language.
Each book carefully guides the reader through three main sections, enabling them to explore and develop major themes within the discipline:
*Section A, Introduction, establishes the key terms and concepts and extends readers' techniques of analysis through practical application
*Section B, Extension, brings together influential articles, sets them in context, and discusses their contribution to the field
*Section C, Exploration, builds on knowledge gained in the first two sections, setting thoughtful tasks around further illustrative material. This enables readers to engage more actively with the subject matter and encourages them to develop their own responses.
Throughout the books, topics are revisited, extended, interwoven and deconstructed, with the reader's understanding strengthened by tasks and follow-up questions.
*ALL TITLES ARE AVAILABLE AS INSPECTION COPIES
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Communication Studies
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / General