The third edition of International Business offers an action-focused, practical approach to the topic, helping students understand the global business environment and its repercussions for executives. The book provides thorough coverage of the field, delving into fundamental concepts and theory; the cultural, political, and economic environment; international business strategies; and even functional management areas.
More comprehensive than competing books, International Business includes:
- Strengthened, expanded global cases, examples, and 'industry' and 'country' mini-cases that give students practical insight into the ways companies actually behave within a competitive, global environment
- Updated coverage of key trends that impact how international business functions, including the drivers of globalization, e-commerce and the impact of the Internet, and international entrepreneurship
- New material on technology issues, the impact of the financial crisis, and problems in the EU
- Expanded discussion of the skills and strategies students need to succeed in today's international business environment, including dynamic capabilities, foreign direct investment, and market entry strategies
Also featuring a companion website with a test bank, Powerpoint slides, and instructor’s manual, this book is ideal for undergraduate and graduate students and instructors of any international business course.
Table of Contents
1. International Business in an Age of Globalization Part I: Concepts and Theories in International Business 2. International Trade Theory and Application 3. Foreign Direct Investment Theory and Application 4. The Multinational Enterprise Part II: Endowments and Environments of International Business 5. Country Competitiveness 6. The Cultural Environment 7. The Political and Legal Environment Part III: Global Markets and Institutions 8. International Economic Integration and Institutions 9. The International Monetary System and Financial Markets Part IV: International Business Strategies 10. International Entry Strategies 11. Organizing and Structuring Global Operations 12. Building and Managing Global Strategic Alliances (GSAs) 13. Managing Global Research and Development (R&D) Part V: Functional International Business Areas 14. Financial Management for Global Operations 15. International Accounting for Global Operations 16. Global Marketing and Supply Chain 17. Global Human Resource Management Part VI: Emerging Issues in International Business 18. Global Internet and E-Commerce 19. Ethics and Corruption in the Global Marketplace 20. International Entrepreneurship
Oded Shenkar is the Ford Motor Company Chair in Global Business Management and Professor of Management and Human Resources at Ohio State University, USA. A Fellow and past Vice President of the Academy of International Business, he has authored numerous books and over a hundred articles.
Yadong Luo is the Emery M. Findley Jr. Distinguished Chair of Graduate Business Studies and Professor of Management at the University of Miami, USA. He is an author of over a dozen books, and over a hundred journal articles, and is a Fellow of The Academy of International Business.
Tailan Chi is Professor of International Business and Carl. A. Scupin Faculty Fellow at the University of Kansas, USA. He has published in leading journals of international business and management, including Journal of International Business Studies, Strategic Management Journal, and Management Science.
"This book has an evocative blend of the "big picture" of international business in the age of globalization, and all the key and more specific issues in IB today. These seasoned scholars' varied cases are not just great fun, but also provide great coverage, from the traditional IB topics to newer ones. The authors' practical vision is refreshing, eloquently written, and spot on!" - Mary Ann Von Glinow, Knight Ridder Eminent Scholar Chair in International Management, Florida International University, USA; Former AIB and AOM President
"International Business offers readers an extensive background and useful insights into the basics and practice of IB. Up-to-date, practical examples present wonderful opportunities to learn from the experiences of firms and managers operating in the global environment. " - Marjorie A. Lyles, Chancellor's Professor and OneAmerica Chaired Professor in Business Administration, Indiana University, USA
"Shenkar, Luo and Chi offer excellent, comprehensive coverage of international business in the new global environment. Written by three outstanding researchers, it is practically focused, firmly grounded in cutting edge research, and up-to-date with great student and instructor support." - Peter J. Buckley, Professor and Director of Business Confucius Institute, University of Leeds, UK