© 2004 – Routledge
512 pages | 17 Color Illus.
This is an ideal foundation text for anyone studying or working in the International Human Resource Management (IHRM) arena. This text utilizes and incorporates most of what is currently known, researched or experienced in the field. It features data and examples from academic research, international businesses and consulting firms, as well as experiences of and interviews with HRM managers in multinational and global firms. This book offers both a theoretical and practical treatment of this important and constantly evolving area.
Thoroughly updated and revised, this second edition now includes key terms, learning objectives, discussion questions and an end-of-book integrative case. It has been designed to lead readers through all of the key topics in a highly engaging and approachable way. This book focuses on IHRM within multi-national enterprises (MNEs) and covers topics including:
* MNE and country culture
* organizational structure, strategy and design
* international joint ventures and cross-border mergers and acquisitions
* labour standards, ethics and codes of conduct
* selection and mangement of international assignees
* training and management development
* compensation and benefits
* health and safety and crisis management
* IHRM departments and professionals
Uncovering precisely why IHRM is important for success in international business and how IHRM policies and practices function within the multinational enterprise, this outstanding textbook provides an essential foundation for an understanding of the theory and practice of IHRM. This book is essential reading for all students, lecturers and IHRM professionals.
Praise for the previous edition:
'To have the right staff at the right time is a safe recipe for business success. Although this is easier said than done the second edition ofInternational Human Resource Management provides the appropriate tools to achieve just that. The book brings together highly relevant perspectives on the effective management of human resources on a global scale by two internationally renowned scholars on the leading edge of research and practice. This fully updated new edition should be mandatory reading for any student and practitioner of international business.' - Jan Selmer, Hong Kong Baptist University
'Briscoe and Schuler have created the benchmark by which other HRM texts will be measured.'- Wayne Cascio, University of Colorado, Denver, USA
'The second edition of Briscoe and Schuler'sInternational Human Resource Management is an outstanding addition to the literature. It will not only serve as an excellent university text but also provide a comprehensive overview of the field for IHRM practioners and other interested professionals.' - Cal Reynolds, Consultant
1. International Business and International Human Resource Management 2. Strategic International Human Resource Management 3. Organizational Structure and Design in the MNE 4. Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions, International Joint Ventures and Alliances 5. Country Culture and MNE Culture 6. Global Employment Law and Labor Relations 7. Global Ethics and Labor Standards 8. Global Workforce Planning and Staffing the MNE 9. Staffing the Global Enterprise: Selection of International Assignees 10. Training and Management Development in the Global Enterprise 11. Global Compensation, Benefits and Taxes 12. International Performance Management for IAs and Foreign Managers 13. Health, Safety and Crisis Management in the Global Enterprise 14. The IHR Department and the Role and Future of IHRM 15. Case Study: Lincoln Electric, Shanghai
Edited and authored by the best and most well known researchers in the field of human resource management (HRM), this series of books offers students accessible, coordinated and comprehensive textbooks on global HRM. To be used individually or together, these books cover the main bases of the area, including titles on global alliances, corporations, leadership, legal systems, staffing and compensation systems.
The series is organized into three strands: the first reflects general issues of global HRM; the second more specific HR functions in a global context; and the third, comparative human resource management.
Taking an expert look at an increasingly important area of global business, this is a groundbreaking new series that answers a real need for serious textbooks on global HRM.
Dedication: The late Professor Michael Poole was one of the founding series editors, and Profesors Schuler, Jackson, and Sparrow wish to dedicate the series to his memory.