International Organization and Global Governance
Completely revised and updated for the second edition, this textbook continues to offer the most comprehensive resource available for all interested in international organization and global governance.
The book offers:
- In-depth and accessible coverage of the history and theories of international organization and global governance.
- Discussions of the full range of state, intergovernmental, and non-state actors.
- Examinations of key issues in all aspects of contemporary world politics.
New additions to this edition include:
- New and revised chapters on theories of international organization and global governance.
- New substantive chapters on global corporations, China, financial markets, terrorist organizations, governing global energy, and the Internet.
- Updated contributions to reflect the changing nature of world politics.
The book comprises fifty-four chapters arranged in seven parts and woven together by a comprehensive introduction to the field, along with separate introductions to each part to guide students and faculty, and helpful pointers to further reading.
International Organization and Global Governance is a self-contained resource enabling readers to comprehend more fully the role of myriad actors in the governance of global life as well as to assemble the many pieces of the contemporary global governance puzzle.
Part I: Introduction
From International Organization to Global Governance
Thomas G. Weiss and Rorden Wilkinson
Part II: Contextualizing International Organization and Global Governance
1. The Emergence of Global Governance
Craig N. Murphy
2. The Evolution of International Law
3. International Organizations and the Diffusion of Power
Michael Barnett and Raymond Duvall
4. The Diffusion of Authority
5. Who Governs the Globe?
Susan K. Sell
Part III: Theories of International Organization and Global Governance
Jason Charrette and Jennifer Sterling-Folker
7. Classical Liberal Internationalism
8. Liberal Institutionalism
Tana Johnson and Andrew Heiss
9. Rational Choice: From Principal–Agent to Orchestration Theory
Duncan Snidal and Henning Tamm
11. Critical Theory
Robert W. Cox
Susanne Zwingel, Elisabeth Prügl, and Gülay Caglar
15. Decoloniality: (Re)Making Worlds
Jacquelin Kataneksza, L.H.M. Ling, and Sara Shroff
Part IV: States and International Institutions in Global Governance
16. The UN System
17. The UN General Assembly
18. Regional Governance and Regional Organizations
19. The European Union
20. The BRICs in the Evolving Architecture of Global Governance
Andrew F. Cooper and Ramesh Thakur
21. The Global South
22. US Hegemony
W. Andy Knight
23. China and Global Governance
Shaun Breslin and Ren Xiao
Part V: Non-State Actors in Global Governance
24. Global Corporations
25. Civil Society and NGOs
Jan Aart Scholte
Nigel Haworth and Steve Hughes
27. Credit Rating Agencies
Timothy J. Sinclair
28. Think Tanks and Global Policy Networks
James G. McGann
29. Global Philanthropy
30. Private Military and Security Companies
Peter J. Hoffman
31. Transnational Criminal Networks
Frank G. Madsen
Part VI: Securing the World, Governing Humanity
32. UN Security Council and Peace Operations
Paul D. Williams and Alex J. Bellamy
33. Regional Organizations and Global Security Governance
S. Neil MacFarlane
34. Weapons of Mass Destruction
Waheguru Pal Singh Sidhu
35. Counterterrorism Cooperation and Global Governance
36. Human Rights
David P. Forsythe
37. The Pursuit of International Justice
Richard J. Goldstone
38. Humanitarian Intervention and R2P
39. Crisis and Humanitarian Containment
40. Post-conflict Peacebuilding
Graciana del Castillo
41. Human Security as a Global Public Good
Mark Raymond and Stefanie Neumeier
Part VII: Governing the Economic and Social World
42. Global Financial Governance
43. Global Trade Governance
44. Global Development Governance
45. Global Environmental Governance
Elizabeth R. DeSombre and Angelina H. Li
46. Regional Development Banks and Global Governance
Jonathan R. Strand
47. Climate Change
Matthew J. Hoffmann
48. Sustainable Development Governance
Roger A. Coate
49. Global Energy Governance
50. Poverty Reduction
David Hulme and Oliver Turner
51. Food and Hunger
52. Global Health Governance
53. Refugees and Migrants
54. Global Internet Governance
Praise for the Second Edition
"International Organization and Global Governance is an excellent one-stop resource that simultaneously offers a thorough and broad theoretical understanding and empirical insight into a wide array of important issue areas in international relations. It has been an indispensable core textbook in my course on global governance for years, and has been highly valued by the students for its clarity and ability to explain complex matters. This second edition provides important up-to date insight into the rapidly evolving field."
Benedicte Bull, University of Oslo
"An indispensable resource for any student of contemporary global affairs. This latest edition of a now-classic volume balances breadth of coverage with conceptual depth and sophisticated analysis. The editors here have assembled a top-notch team to write an outstanding collection of insightful, accessible essays that span the enormous range of challenges and changes in global governance today."
Martha Finnemore, George Washington University
"The first edition of this volume was a land-mark so this second, much-updated volume is most welcome. The editors and authors are all leading authorities on their topics. Highly recommended."
David Malone, UN University
"In a fracturing world, international cooperation is looking fragile. This book provides a useful overview of how international organisations can help, where they fail, and with what consequences."
Ngaire Woods, University of Oxford
Praise for the First Edition
"A comprehensive survey of the theory and practice of global governance in the modern world. Comprised of outstanding essays by acknowledged experts and filled with important insights, International Organizations and Global Governance is essential reading for scholars and students as well as practitioners."
David A. Lake, University of California, San Diego
"Weiss and Wilkinson have done us a remarkable service by producing this volume now: it provides an indispensable guide to the fastest growing global industry. And it will be read and studied for several decades as the world continues to converge."
Kishmore Mahbubani, National University of Singapore