Advanced Language Skills
- This format is currently out of stock.
This language course uses liaison interpreting to teach spoken French to advanced students. Designed to provide an alternative to conversation classes, it is a highly effective aid to language acquisition and consolidation. Interpreting French will improve students' confidence in speaking and discussing a wide variety of contemporary topics.
Students learn a range of transferable skills including:
* oral proficiency in French and English
* presentation skills
* linguistic flexibility
* cross-cultural awareness.
Interpreting French is ideal for those who have not taught interpreting before. The pack includes:
* A Tutor's Book: how to make lessons a success, with notes on class design, preparation, feedback and assessment
* Student Handouts: a wealth of photocopiable resources for use in and outside the classroom
* Audio Cassettes: six hours of dialogues for practice and revision.
The authors lecture in the School of Languages at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, where Margaret Lang is Professor of French. Isabelle Perez is Lecturer in French and a professional interpreter.
'To produce a structured introduction to an activity as fluid as liaison interpreting is a challenging venture, which no doubt explains the dearth of appropriate material on the market. But Interpreting French ... is a creditable attempt to fill the gap. Its three component levels ... correspond to the three years of an undergraduate French course, though the speed of progression can obviously be varied to suit particular circumstances ... The student handouts are nicely produced.' - Rodney Ball, Times Higher Education Supplement