This updated, new edition of Introducing Cultural Studies provides a systematic and comprehensible introduction to the concepts, debates and latest research in the field. Reinforcing the interdisciplinary nature of Cultural Studies, the authors first guide the reader through cultural theory before branching out to examine different dimensions of culture in detail – including globalisation, the body, geography, fashion, and politics.
Incorporating new scholarship and international examples, this new edition includes:
- New and improved 'Defining Concepts', 'Key Influences', 'Example ', and 'Spotlight' features that probe deeper into the most significant ideas, theorists and examples, ensuring you obtain an in-depth understanding of the subject.
- A brand new companion website featuring a flashcard glossary, web links, discussion and essay questions to stimulate independent study.
- A new-look text design with over 60 pictures and tables draws all these elements together in an attractive, accessible design that makes navigating the book, and the subject, simple and logical.
Introducing Cultural Studies will be core reading for Cultural Studies undergraduates and postgraduates, as well as an illuminating guide for those on Communication and Media Studies, English, Sociology, and Social Studies courses looking for a clear overview of the field.
Table of Contents
List of key influence boxes
List of defining concepts boxes
List of spotlight boxes
List of example boxes
1. Culture and Cultural Studies
2. Culture, Communication and Representation
3. Culture, Power, Globalisation and Inequality
4. Consumption, Collaboration and Digital Media
5. Researching Culture
6. Topographies of Culture: Geography, Meaning and Power
7. Politics and Culture
8. Cultured Bodies
9. Subcultures, Postsubcultures and Fans
10. Visual Culture
Brian Longhurst, University of Salford
Greg Smith, University of Salford
Gaynor Bagnall, University of Salford
Garry Crawford, University of Salford
Miles Ogborn, Queen Mary University of London
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.