This exciting text for the pre-service elementary teacher provides hands on mathematics lessons they can use to introduce mathematical concepts and skills that students find particularly challenging. Each chapter is divided into four sections:
By providing models of what excellent lessons on a given topic look like, knowledge of the mathematics involved, and a concrete lesson plan structure this much-needed resource is the definitive mathematics planning vehicle that every teacher will want before they set foot in their own elementary classroom.
1. How Children Learn Mathematics (and Why it Doesn’t Happen!)
2. Median: Finding What’s in the Middle
3. Rounding: The Mystery of ‘Rounding up for 5’
4. Skipping Multiplication (or at Least Through it.)
5. Learning to Use Division
6. Fractions: What’s it all About?
7. Fractions: Adding Unlike Things? Impossible!
8. Fractions: Dividing into Small Pieces
9. Decimals: Operations Before Rules
10. Measurement: Make your Own Ruler
11. Area: Skipping Through the Rows
12. Volume: It’s Like Look at an Apartment House …..
13. Mean: How Much Does Each Get?
14. Percent: Leveling the Field of Comparison
15. Order of Operations: An Agreement? Did You Get the Memo?