Jumpstart! Study Skills presents a collection of engaging and simple-to-use games and activities that will jumpstart students’ understanding of working independently and as part of a group and how to develop the study skills necessary to succeed at school.
Providing teachers with a range of practical ideas and strategies to promote active learning in Key Stage 2, the activities in this book will help students to:
- create plans for investigations and assignments;
- improve their organisational skills: time management and teamwork;
- collect data using methods such as observations, surveys and interviews;
- develop their reading and notetaking skills;
- engage in meaningful discussions and develop their talk skills;
- advance their computer skills to sift and record data;
- create strategies for revising and preparing for tests;
- analyse data and draw conclusions;
- improve their ability to write reports;
- evaluate their own achievements and identify future targets.
Jumpstart! Study Skills is an essential classroom resource that will encourage children’s development and help teachers to deliver effective lessons that promote active learning in Key Stage 2.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Planning investigations and projects
Chapter 2 Collecting data – observations, surveys and interviews
Chapter 3 Developing reading skills
Chapter 4 Note making
Chapter 5 Developing talk skills
Chapter 6 Using the computer
Chapter 7 Developing writing skills
Chapter 8 Developing organisational skills: Time management and teamwork
Chapter 9 Revising and preparing for tests
Chapter 10 Helping children with special needs
Chapter 11 Summary and other resources
John Foster taught English for twenty years before becoming a full-time writer and educational consultant. He has written over 100 books for classroom use and is a highly regarded children’s poet and educational adviser.