The fifth edition of this comprehensive resource helps future and practicing teachers recognize and assess literacy problems, while providing practical, effective intervention strategies to help every student succeed. DeVries thoroughly explores the major components of literacy, offering an overview of pertinent research, suggested methods and tools for diagnosis and assessment, intervention strategies and activities, and technology applications to increase students' skills. Updated to reflect the needs of teachers in increasingly diverse classrooms, the fifth edition addresses scaffolding for English language learners, and offers appropriate instructional strategies and tailored teaching ideas to help both teachers and their students. Several valuable appendices include assessment tools, instructions and visuals for creating and implementing the book's more than 150 instructional strategies and activities, and other resources.
New to the Fifth Edition:
- Up-to-date and in line with ILA, CCSS, and most state and district literacy standards, this edition also addresses the important shifts and evolution of these standards.
- New chapter on Language Development, Speaking, and Listening covers early literacy, assessment, and interventions.
- New intervention strategies and activities are featured in all chapters and highlight a stronger technology component.
- Updated Companion Website with additional tools, resources, and examples of teachers using assessment strategies.
Table of Contents
1. Forming a Personal Philosophy About Literacy Assessment and Intervention
2. The Literacy Event
4. Language Development: Speaking/Listening
5. Phonemic Awareness
6. Phonics and Spelling
7. Word Recognition
8. Vocabulary Building
9. Comprehension of Narrative Text
10. Comprehension of Informational Text
13. Identifying and Working with Students with Diverse Needs
14. Teachers, Caregivers, and the Community Working in Collaboration
Beverly A. DeVries is Professor Emerita of Education at Southern Nazarene University, USA.
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.