Living Shorelines: The Science and Management of Nature-based Coastal Protection compiles, synthesizes and interprets the current state of the knowledge on the science and practice of nature-based shoreline protection. This book will serve as a valuable reference to guide scientists, students, managers, planners, regulators, environmental and engineering consultants, and others engaged in the design and implementation of living shorelines. This volume provides a background and history of living shorelines, understandings on management, policy, and project designs, technical synthesis of the science related to living shorelines including insights from new studies, and the identification of research needs, lessons learned, and perspectives on future guidance.
- Makes recommendations on the correct usage of the term living shorelines
- Offers guidance for shoreline management in the future
- Includes lessons learned from the practice of shoreline restoration/conservation
- Synthesizes regional perspectives to identify strategies for the successful design and implementation of living shorelines
- Reviews specific design criteria for successful implementation of living shorelines
- Provides detailed discussions of social, regulatory, scientific and technical considerations to justify and design living shoreline projects
International perspectives are presented from leading researchers and managers in the East, West and Gulf coasts of the United States, Europe, Canada, and Australia that are working on natural approaches to shoreline management. The broad geographic scope and interdisciplinary nature of contributing authors will help to facilitate dialogue and transfer knowledge among different disciplines and across different regions. This book provides coastal communities with the scientific foundation and practical guidance necessary to implement effective shoreline management that enhances ecosystem services and coastal resilience now and into the future.
Part I Background. Part II Management, Policy, Design. Part III Synthesis of Living Shoreline Science: Physical Aspects. Part IV Synthesis of Living Shoreline Science: Biological Aspects. Part V Summary and Future Guidance.