Managing suppliers is a complex process that is often underestimated. This book presents research carried out by a practising manager in the automotive industry, coupled with over six hundred interviews with representatives from the automotive, aircraft and white goods industries, in order to describe the tools and techniques needed to better manage suppliers. The work offers a specification perspective, and includes analysis of models for outsourcing, visions for suppliers for capacity building, meaning of specification flow and the future of managing suppliers, including systems supply and digital procurement.
Table of Contents
1. A Theoretical Perspective on Specifications
2. Specifications - Do We Really Understand Them?
3. Visionary Driven Outsourced Development
4. Redefining the Role of Product Specifications
5. Mapping the Flow of Specifications
6. Strategic Outsourcing Through Specifications
7. Portfolio approaches to Procurement - Analysing the Missing Link to Specifications - A Case Example of Toyota
8. Contracts to Help Validate Specifications
9. Digital Procurement
'Detailed (academic) study for a specialist market. Based particularly on automobile industry developments. A more important subject than generally recognised.' - Long Range Planning