Sport events are inextricably linked to the places in which they are hosted. High-profile events require high-quality venues, and the proper management of facilities is crucial to their success. Now in a fully revised and updated new edition, Managing Sport Facilities and Major Events is still the only textbook to introduce the fundamentals of sport facility and event management in an international context.
With detailed real-world case studies and insights from professional practice, this book offers a systematic guide to the management issues and practical problems that sports managers must address to ensure financial, sporting, and ethical success. It covers all the key aspects of sport facility and major event management including the bidding process, facility development, risk analysis, budgeting, marketing, branding, and quality assurance, as well as completely new chapters on analytics, impact, and legacy.
Now supported by a companion website containing slides, test banks, a glossary, and sample syllabus, this is an invaluable resource for students and practitioners alike and is essential to any course on sport facilities, event management or sport administration.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Sport Facility and Major Event Management
2. Key Success Factors of Operating Sport Facilities and Running Sport Events
3. Feasibility Analysis and Market Research for Planning New Sport Facilities and Events
4. New Sport Facility Development: Planning, Design and Construction
5. New Sport Facility Development: Preparing the Facility Management Infrastructure
6. New Sport Facility Operations: Attracting Events
7. New Sport Facility Operations: Planning the Event Management Infrastructure
8. Attracting Customers: Marketing Sport Facilities and Events
9. Running the Sport Event: Event Operations
10. Destination Marketing, Image, and Branding through Major Sport Events
11. Performance Management: Evaluating Operations
12. Performance Management: Legacy and Measuring Impact
Eric C. Schwarz is a Senior Lecturer in Sport Management and Coordinator of the Postgraduate Courses in Sport Business and Integrity at Victoria University, Australia.
Hans Westerbeek is a Professor of International Sport Business, Pro Vice Chancellor – Sport, and Dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University, Australia.
Dongfeng Liu is a Professor of Sport Management at Shanghai University of Sport, China.
Paul Emery is a retired sport management educator, as well as co-founder and honorary member of the European Association for Sport Management.
Paul Turner is a Senior Lecturer in Sport Management at Deakin University, Australia.
Featured Author Profiles
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.