Learn the skills needed to update and manage a reference department that efficiently meets the needs of clients todayand tomorrow!
Managing the Twenty-First Century Reference Department: Challenges and Prospects provides librarians with the knowledge and skills they need to manage an effective reference service. Full of useful and practical ideas, this book presents successful methods for recruiting and retaining capable reference department staff and management, training new employees and adapting current services to an evolving field. Expert practitioners address the changing role of the reference library worker and how longstanding traditions and practices can be re-evaluated and re-applied. The information in this book is ideal for librarians and students of library studies looking to take their skills to the next level.
Reference departments continue to evolve as the number of applicants qualified to run them declines. Managing the Twenty-First Century Reference Department: Challenges and Prospects explores the dynamics of leadership and management as well as a variety of other characteristics needed in a Head of Reference. It recognizes the increasing need for visionary leaders who can deal with shrinking budgets, soaring costs, expensive electronic resources, and high user expectations and provides you with practical advice on finding, training, and keeping these individuals.
In addition to the training and recruitment techniques documented in this book, you will find extensive information on:
- setting and achieving goals
- creating and maintaining a positive work environment
- how to deliver quality services
- how to improve job satisfaction for library staff
- problem solving strategies
- the importance of communication
- making your reference department task- and employee-centered
Table of Contents
- Managing an Academic Reference Department
- From Core Competencies to Desired Traits: Hiring a Head of Reference for the New Millennium
- Managing the 21st Century Reference Department: Competencies
- Training the New Head of Reference: Focusing on the Supervising Relationship as Technique
- Collaborative Leadership: A Model for Reference Services
- It Takes a Village to Manage the 21st Century Reference Department
- The 21st Century Reference Department: Working to Provide Quality Service to Users
- Leadership or Management: Expectations for Head of Reference Services
- Reference Notes Included