Material Concerns offers new perspectives on key environmental issues - pollution prevention, ecological economics, limits to sustainability, consumer behaviour and government policy. The first non-technical introduction to preventative environmental management, Material Concerns offers realistic prospects for improving the quality of life.
1. Living in a Material World - rough guide to a lonely planet
2. Material Transitions - the birth of the industrial economy
3. Farewell to Love Canal - from industrial afterthought to environmental foresight
4. A Stitch in Time - the principles of prevention
5. Easy Virtues - saving money through pollution prevention
6. Persistent Vices - understanding resistance to change
7. Back to the Future - re-inventing the service economy
8. Negotiating Change - de-materialisation and the profit motive
9. Growth in Crisis - untangling the logic of wealth
10. Beyond Material Concerns - regaining quality of life.