Maths 5–11 A Guide for Teachers
Focusing on good progression from Reception to Year 6, Maths 5–11 provides a clear and concise presentation of the fundamental knowledge that all primary mathematics teachers need. It provides readers with practical knowledge for the planning and assessment necessary to employ the theories expressed in the book.
Ranging from number sense and place value to looking in depth at the various aspects of fractions and mathematical reasoning, this book explores:
- mathematical connections inside and outside of the curriculum;
- the relation of mathematics to other primary subjects such as science, geography, and art;
- mathematics teaching practices from high-performing jurisdictions across the world;
- the progression of learning from primary school to secondary school;
- the ‘big ideas’ in mathematics; and
- activities that provide strategies for children to use responsively and creatively.
Helping primary teachers and mathematics coordinators improve and enhance their mathematical subject knowledge and pedagogy, Maths 5–11 will re-instil an excitement about teaching mathematics among its readers.
Introduction; Section 1: Number Sense; Section 2: Numerical Reasoning; Section 3: Additive Reasoning; Section 4: Multiplicative Reasoning; Section 5: Geometric Reasoning